Topic: Banjo Steering Wheel

dansford    -- 11-10-2011 @ 2:55 PM
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The spokes on my 36 banjo steering wheel are very loose around the horn button in the hub can someone recommend a good adhesive or a solution to the problem? Thanks dansford

Stroker    -- 11-11-2011 @ 5:27 PM
  dansford:

I see you haven't gotten a lot of responses to your question.

I have a banjo wheel on my 38, that fortunately for me is tight. I believe there are re builders out there in "Ford-land", but if cost is a major consideration, consider injecting a good, flow-able epoxy resin in the spaces where the rods enter the cast zinc hub.

The biggest hazard to us who drive these banjo-equipped cars is having the cast-zinc (pot metal) hub fail, and there are some well-documented examples of this. This is usually caused by localized stresses, such as having all the banjo-rods loose except for a few that take all the load. Injecting epoxy resin spreads the loads out to avoid concentrating these loads. Obviously, the best (ignoring cost), solution would be to have it properly rebuilt.

These are really nice wheels, but they deserve a little attention. Contrast that with the hard-rubber, "standard" wheels, which develop rim cracks, but are indestructible.

Dan

Stroker    -- 11-11-2011 @ 5:27 PM
  deleted multiple post.

This message was edited by Stroker on 11-11-11 @ 5:34 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-12-2011 @ 6:15 AM
  without have the wheel in my hand to look at it,
I would give JB WELD a try,
squeezing into the gaps, let it hardend see if it
tightens it up,if it does keep a eye on and and see if it stays that way,
finding another one, it also a option,
I know a guy that would make you a beautiful wood rim for it, yes its not original buy it is beautiful.
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

shogun1940    -- 11-12-2011 @ 4:57 PM
  there was a marine product called GLUVIT that boaters used for a stronglue,sealer ect. it would flow down inside

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3956