Topic: Another Judging Question

daoust    -- 11-09-2011 @ 1:31 PM
  In an EFV8 judged show, what is considered a perfect score? Do cars ever get perfect scores?

David Daoust

kubes40    -- 11-09-2011 @ 1:59 PM
  A perfect score is 1000 points. I've done a number of 999 and 998 cars but never a 1000.
I firmly believe there is no such thing as perfect restoration. Thus, when I get nicked one or two points, I remain happy
Kube

40guy    -- 11-09-2011 @ 3:38 PM
  I agree with kubes40. However,I do remember some years ago when a gentleman named Walter Heckman Jr. scored a perfect 1000 with his 1934 Ford Phaeton.

daoust    -- 11-09-2011 @ 5:30 PM
  Then what is this stuff I read about with regard to a "400" point car?

David Daoust

daoust    -- 11-09-2011 @ 5:30 PM
  Then what is this stuff I read about with regard to a "400" point car?

David Daoust

40guy    -- 11-10-2011 @ 6:45 AM
  The Antique Automobile Club of America {a.k.a.- AACA} scores on a 400 point system. However,that club does not divulge scores. So if anyone in that particular club knows they scored 400 someone broke a rule,which does happen sometimes.

kubes40    -- 11-10-2011 @ 8:25 AM
  For the sake of converstaion I will offer my opinion in regard to the AACA.
While a due respected club, their judging criteria is much different than the Ford Club of America. The AACA does not judge on authenticity nearly to the degree our Club does. More so, they judge on the quailty of the restoration.
That is why I find it much more impressive to score an extremely high point in our Club. Simply, it takes a lot more effort (in time, parts gathering and research, etc.) to do so.

kubes40    -- 11-10-2011 @ 8:31 AM
  To quote 40guy: I agree with kubes40. However,I do remember some years ago when a gentleman named Walter Heckman Jr. scored a perfect 1000 with his 1934 Ford Phaeton.

Again, for conversation sake:
Once we restore our cars, they are not original / not authentic any longer. So one might understand I have no "sour grapes" or other contentious regards, understand pleases that I am one of those guys that turn out 999 point cars.
Now, the reason I firmly believe this is we over restore the cars so much they can't be a "perfect" restoration simply by definition.

A perfect restoration would be to bring the car back to exactly how it left the assembly line. Yep, over spray, mis-aligned panels, the whole thing... NOT the works of art our 999 - 1000 point cars might suggest.

daoust    -- 11-10-2011 @ 9:59 AM
  What would a respectable score be? I've never had my car in a judged show but I hope to do so next season. What type of scores generally win at an EFV8 show?

David Daoust

nelsb01    -- 11-10-2011 @ 1:08 PM
  The points breakdown can be found in the 2011 National Roster -- page 30
but.............
Minimun points needed to qualify:
Dearborn Award 950
1st Place 900
2nd Place 750
3rd Place 600

42wagon    -- 11-10-2011 @ 1:10 PM
  David
I believe you are missing the point. At an Early Ford V8 meet cars are judged against a standard not against each other. Therefore there are no winners. The goal is to have a car as close to the way it came from the assembly plant or dealer as possible. The judging form starts with 1000 points and deducts for items that are not in conformance. If your car receives more than 950 points it will be given a "Dearborn" award. Hopefully many of the cars at a meet will also be given "Dearborn" awards.

To see what will be judged go to the form section on the main web site and download the judging forms for you year vehicle.

daoust    -- 11-10-2011 @ 1:34 PM
  Thank you 42wagon. This is all a learning process for me. I appreciate all who have helped.

David Daoust

kubes40    -- 11-10-2011 @ 3:31 PM
  42wagon explained it very well.

One thing to consider before tackling a restoration is the age old formula:
It takes x amount of time and x amount of money to attain a car of 90% quality and accuarcy. Double that (twice as much time, twice as much money) to make a 100% car. From my experience that is quite an accurate formula.
And, with little doubt that's why you will see many more "90%r's" than 100% restorations.

40guy    -- 11-11-2011 @ 7:51 AM
  Kubes40: I agree with your assessment of AACA judging vs.EFV8 judging.I've seen 40 Fords win a First Jr. at a national meet with the wrong radiator, cap, dual exhaust not to mention hardware throghout bought at NAPA, wrong voltage reg. I could go on but we get the point. Whats frustrating to me is to see a car like that win, when I researched and did mine "by the book". Of course I won too, but it just doesn't seem fair to those who "did it right". As dear old Bill Widenhouse said to me once at a EFV8 Meet: "we judge 'em here, the AACA is a beauty contest".

ford38v8    -- 11-11-2011 @ 11:55 AM
  Ya know... I like to look at it like this: At an AACA Meet, there's one winner and a lotta losers. Have you ever seen any losers at a V8 Meet?

Alan

kubes40    -- 11-11-2011 @ 4:31 PM
  40guy: You couldn't have put it better. Bill's quote is perfect as well.
Alan, I truly like the way the V8 Club judging is set up. It definitely lacks continuity. That is, a group of judges that REALLY know their stuff.
I know that I am a bit strict on the concourse. However, I strongly believe the points must be earned. Like 40guy says, he did his by the book. That being the case, he deserves a better score than the guy that went to ACE Hardware.
You get my point, I am certain.
I get fed up with a guy that cries about a deduction (example) for the wrong spark plugs and his argument is 1) the correct ones are nearly impossible to find and 2) when found they are too expensive.
oh well, those are things that separate the 999 point cars from the 950 point cars. Like I said earlier (post) 1x to get to 90%, double that (2x) to get to 100%.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-11-2011 @ 5:22 PM
  all you "judging" guys restore them so when you die, we the drivers (they were meant to be driven) will have a good selection of "correct" cars to drive and have fun with. I know there are some who like to restore them and trailer them everywhere, thats great but there is nothing like a flathead going down the road

If it doesn't have bugs on the grill I don't want it!!

TomO    -- 11-12-2011 @ 7:22 AM
  The club has a place on the Concourse for the owner that wants a 1,000 point car and the owner that want his car his way. I have seen many point judged cars that I would like to own as well as many drivers that I would like to own at the National Meets.

I think that I have the best of both worlds, my car was point judged and received 3 Dearborn Awards and I drove it to the meets where it was judged. I did not restore my car to the 1,000 point standard, because I wanted to drive it.

I continue to maintain my car and upgrade areas that need attention from driving it, so it takes a little more work to own than a "Trailer Queen". But the owner of the 'Trailer Queen" spent more time and money getting his car as close to 1,000 point as he could.

There are others in the Club that did the same thing and are enjoying their cars as well. So you don't have to make the choice between enjoying driving the car and getting the car point judged. You can do both.

Tom

wrosenkrans    -- 11-12-2011 @ 11:55 AM
  42Wagon - could you email me please, I have a question about a car I'd like to ask you.

rosenkran1@aol.com

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3952