Topic: New Stromberg 97's

doning    -- 11-09-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  Guy's, I'm thinking of purchasing one of Stromberg's new 97 carbs. The price is quite steep but are they worth the money? I'm getting tired of repairing so-called "rebuilds".

37 Coupe    -- 11-09-2011 @ 9:19 AM
  Well my reply is going to sound a lot like my fuel pump reply earlier,but it is my expierience. Same as my fuel pumps had carburetors rebuilt with no satisfaction by fuel pump/carburetor "gurus" Two as a matter of fact but neither were Stromberg,one 59A and other 91-99 for a 39 Ford. This was on a 59AB in my 37 Ford,neither ran good or dependable starting (flooding). I had as much in both carburetors with three named rebuilders as I would a new Stromberg repro but finally sprang for a new one and it has ran great,never an issue with starting hot or cold. Just make sure you buy the correct one not the Speedway"97" China made one,get the English one and get it from one of their top reps in US Max Musgrove "Uncle Max" on Fordbarn,he is in roster or was. He is in Utah.

carguy    -- 11-09-2011 @ 10:22 AM
  I had continuing problems with my '97 until I sent it to "Uncle Max" Max Musgrove for a rebuild. It ran perfectly when I got it back. I also purchased from Max one of the new '97's which Max referred to as a piece of jewelry. It, of course also ran well. I ended up keeping the rebuilt carb on the car and I have the new unit as a ready-to-go backup.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

doning    -- 11-09-2011 @ 10:57 AM
  Save to purchase one through Mac's?

JM    -- 11-09-2011 @ 5:39 PM
  IMO, If you want a good rebuilt Stromberg 97 contact Uncle Max.
If you want the best new Stromberg 97 on the market go with the one made in England and get it from Uncle Max. He will stand behind either rebuilt or new 100%. Also, if you want to purchase any parts for any of the Stromberg model carburetors Uncle Max will always treat you right. I once sent an email order for Stromberg parts to UM that totalled ~$900.00. The parts arrived on my doorstep three days later with everything I ordered plus other little extra freebee items that were very useful for me to rebuild my carburetors. He also sent me a cool Stromberg T shirt with my last order.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 11-9-11 @ 5:49 PM

doning    -- 11-10-2011 @ 2:46 AM
  Uncle Max have an email address?

supereal    -- 11-10-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  Jegs offers both the 94 and 97 carbs in their latest catalog The 94 is an Edlebrock piece, usually a guarantee of quality, item # 350-1151, $399.99. The 97 is available in two different models, at $395.99. They also offer electric or manual choke kits for the 97. The problem with "rebuilt" carbs is that the original units are very old, and the diecast metal has usually deformed. The problem is aggravated by the numbers of times the carb has been disasemmbled and put back together over the years. This deforms the threads and gasket surfaces, as well as the internal clearances, and often doesn't include rebushing the shafts. Simply installing a kit is not what should be called "rebuilding". Too often the result is not worth the cost, which could be applied to a brand new carb.

carguy    -- 11-13-2011 @ 5:46 AM
  Uncle Max's e-mail address that I have is madmax1946@comcast.net

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3951