Topic: quick issue

46fordnut    -- 11-08-2011 @ 2:59 PM
  i got some time to work with my 46 and made new fuel line from pump to carb . runs fine for 3 to for min then shuts down.. if i add fuel to carb it fires right off then shuts down again... new fuel pump installed samething happens. carb issue? possible carb may need to be rebuilt? i do have about 1/4 tank of gas .

100 horse running wild

BrianCT    -- 11-08-2011 @ 5:00 PM
  Possible sticking float valve?

46fordnut    -- 11-08-2011 @ 5:03 PM
  i have an all brass needle and seat.. no rubber tip on needle.

100 horse running wild

Old Henry    -- 11-08-2011 @ 7:04 PM
  Two things I'd check:

1. Disconnect fuel line from carb. Put the end in a jar. Crank engine and see whether gas flows.

2. With line off of carb hook it up to pressure gauge and make sure it has 1.5-3.5 lbs. pressure.

If those two tests check out fine the pump is pumping gas at the right pressure and it must be the float valve in the carb. Might need adjusting.

My 2 cents.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

TomO    -- 11-09-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  Do you have a rubber fuel line from the tank? Some of the fuel injection hoses are not stiff enough to handle the vacuum from the fuel pump.

Tom

46fordnut    -- 11-09-2011 @ 7:02 AM
  copper coated steel from tank to wall then the flex hose to pump then from pump to carb steel

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 11-09-2011 @ 7:30 AM
  As filling the carb allows the engine to run, it should eliminate any problems other than fuel delivery. As you have replaced almost everything in that system, it would seem the either there is a problem with the carb float hanging up, or the pickup tube in the tank is the cause. Those can, and do, erode after years of use. As you say the there is only a quarter tank of gas in the tank, you might look there. Gas tank venting can cause your problem if the wrong cap is used, but usually it takes longer than three minutes for that to matter. I assume you have blown out the gas line from the carb to the tank to be sure it is fully open. The last time I fixed your problem, I found a scr*p of Teflon in the needle seat from sealing the a gas line fitting.

46fordnut    -- 11-09-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  i did clean out line with air .. ill try adding fuel to tank and go from there. I'm thinking as you said it just may be less then i think the tank

100 horse running wild

46fordnut    -- 11-09-2011 @ 10:06 AM
  i think my flex line is bad .. i took flex line off the pump ran another line to a gas can it ran fine. guess that is what happened.

100 horse running wild

46fordnut    -- 11-10-2011 @ 7:06 AM
  up date on my issue...i did find something really dumb...my tank in the car is empty...oh boy i guess we all make some stupid mistakes along the line somewhere.

100 horse running wild

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3948