Topic: Flat Spot On Tires From Extended Storage

239al    -- 11-07-2011 @ 8:46 PM
  I have an old Ford with 6:50 x 16 tires that has sat on concrete for about 10 years with no exercise. I had the car on the road last week and it ran great, but it felt like I was riding on square tires. I assume the tires have acquired flat spots from setting so long. Are there any cures for this?

ford38v8    -- 11-07-2011 @ 9:07 PM
  239, If the tires were old when stored, they may not be salvageable, but certainly worth a try if in otherwise good condition. Just driving it, with correct tire pressure should warm them to the point that they will heal themselves. Stay off the major highway and keep the speed down until they prove themselves roadworthy.

Alan

42wagon    -- 11-08-2011 @ 3:35 AM
  My car has 15 inch fiberglass belted tires that I am about to change back to the proper 16 inch tires. These tires will develop flat spots just from sitting for a week or so. The first couple of miles on the road feel like you are driving on railroad ties but eventually the flat spots will even out. Don't know if that will happen with tire that have been sitting for ten years though.

trjford8    -- 11-08-2011 @ 7:27 AM
  I would suggest buying some new tires. If you have a flat on a tire that is 10 years old you may have a tough time finding anyone(tire shop, etc.) to dismount, repair, and remount the tire. Most shops out here on the "left coast" won't touch a tire over 7 years old. I suspect that your tires may be older than 10 years unless you put on new tires and then parked it for 10 years. It's my opinion that you are due for new tires if you plan to drive this old V-8 and have fun.

supereal    -- 11-08-2011 @ 2:55 PM
  I agree about old tires. My '47 had old Sears bias ply tires on it when I bought it years ago. It would flat spot overnight. A set of Coker bias ply tires cured that. They don't flat spot at all. The primary destruction of tires is from the effect of ozone. It causes rubber to disintegrate as microscopic cracks appear in the sidewalls. A blown tire on an old car can quickly destroy the vehicle, and you, so it isn't worth the chance to try to keep them.

1934 Ford    -- 11-08-2011 @ 5:15 PM
  Buy new ones if you want to ever enjoy a smooth ride.
Had the same problem once with a 34 Ford with beautiful
17" Firestone white walls with all the rubber tits intact.
Bought new ones and some Firestone tire display holders and gave them away as gifts to friends with garage displays. Then drove them all over in comfort and safety.

51f1    -- 11-11-2011 @ 6:03 AM
  I would never drive on 10-year old tires. They are not safe. They are probably dry-rotted and can come apart at anytime.

Richard

BERTHA    -- 11-14-2011 @ 4:17 AM
  'I would never drive on 10-year old tires. They are not safe. They are probably dry-rotted and can come apart at anytime."

Richard

Agree 100%, too many good options out there.
We went with OEM Firestone Bias from Coker.

Bob

"it's only original once""

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3947