Topic: 1937 Ford Carpenter antenna issues.

37 Coupe    -- 11-04-2011 @ 4:15 PM
  Anyone over the years have issues with the 1937 Ford roof mount antenna reproduction? Very frustrating from the beginning,order was short the correct knob and the antenna stop and other parts but resolved with couple calls. Issue I have that is frustrating is it does not position staight up flops to the left or right like it needs "enhanced". Carpenter responds by intructing me on the adjustment set screws that supplied instructions are vague on,put it all back together and gets loose again. Anybody who has removed and replaced the header panel know this is a time consuming job. I have an original 37 Ford/Philco antenna that has a definite click up and down but bakelite base is shot. Over the years I have used Carpenter antennas for 46 open and closed and also 39 open and very satisfied with them,just think they missed the mark on the 37 closed roof mount. If I had it to do over again I would have used after market cowl mount instead of trying to be correct. Anyone got a nice original Ford one?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-04-2011 @ 4:24 PM
  37coupe
did you try JB weld epxoy on the original base to build it back up,use a little at a time, shape it with files or sanding and paint the surface with black paint,
this is just a thought,
it might be worth a shot,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN
PS I have a repro open car antenna, you cannot turn it from inside the car most of the time,
was thinking about a antenna under the dash that would really pull a station in,, and just use the other for looks,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 11-4-11 @ 4:25 PM

37 Coupe    -- 11-04-2011 @ 4:32 PM
  There are new "hidden" antennas that supposedly work good and NOS running board antenas show up. Carpenter antenna does work good on a signal so no issue with that,guess I will just velcro it to the stop and never raise it.

trjford8    -- 11-04-2011 @ 8:00 PM
  I also had some issues with the Carpenter antenna. I have mine on the car and just leave it in the down position. I have put a generic style antenna under the running board for my am/fm radio.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3932