Topic: Readjusting Parking Brake

Steves46    -- 11-03-2011 @ 4:24 PM
  The rear brakes are good on my 46 coupe however I need to readjust my parking brake in order to get them working again. I checked my shop manual but it wasn't to clear on the procedure. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the steps I need to take. Also, is this a one person job or do I need to find a volunteer to assist? Many thanks. Steve

supereal    -- 11-03-2011 @ 7:50 PM
  There are two adjustments, a clevis on the end of the front cable above the handle, and another where the front cable meets the rear cable that is a loop between the two rear backing plates. Raise the rear wheels off the ground, and tighten the rear adjustment which is the threaded end on the cable until the shoes contact the drums, then back off until the shoes don't touch the drums. If there is not enough adjustment there, pull the pin on the clevis above the handle and tighten the front cable until the brakes are firmly set when the handle is at about half it's travel. Often the front cable is rusty or otherwise damaged,and may need to be replaced to allow smooth operation. Be sure the rear wheels turn freely when the handle is in the released position nearest the firewall.

Steves46    -- 11-04-2011 @ 6:44 AM
  Thank you very much.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-04-2011 @ 6:53 AM
  to add a little to supereal, you can lubricate the front cable by applying oil to where the cable comes out of the housing-it will run downhill to lube the cable- I use a product called Lock-Ease, it has a little graphite in it

Steves46    -- 11-04-2011 @ 1:09 PM
  Since I could not tighten the adjustment on the back, I went ahead and removed the pin from the clevis above the handle. Since I have never done this before, I assumed that I needed to loosen the nut and rotate the clevis a couple of times clockwise to tighten. The problem is that by doing do, it will no longer line up with the hole in the handle. What did I do wrong? Appreciate any help. Steve

supereal    -- 11-04-2011 @ 2:53 PM
  Move the handle until the pin lines up. If it doesn't, loosen the rear adjustment, replace the pin, and turn the rear adjustment until you get the brake to apply at about half the travel. Each adjustment affects the other, and usually you have to move both the get the desired results.

This message was edited by supereal on 11-4-11 @ 2:54 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-04-2011 @ 4:14 PM
  What I usually do it. disconnect the hand brake cables
at the Y, adjust the rear brakes,
now hook back up the cables,make sure the handbrake is all the way forward,
now try attaching the cables,they should hook up with a little tension in the cables [ adjust clevis till they do ] and the wheels should still be able to turn,
now pull the handbrake up 6 or 7 clicks,
the rear wheels should be starting to grab or be locked up, if not adjust the clevis till they do
release the handbrake and the wheels should be able to spin,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

Steves46    -- 11-04-2011 @ 6:40 PM
  Thanks Super however when I pulled the pin, the handle was closed all the way towards the firewall...should I have first pulled the handle out then remove the pin and make the adjustment? My apologies-just inexperienced in this area.

TomO    -- 11-05-2011 @ 8:54 AM
  Steve, The way that I like to adjust the upper emergency cable is to pull the pin, take up the adjustment by about 2 turns, loosen the lower adjustment to allow the pin to be replaced and then make the adjustment on the lower adjustment. You can have someone step on the pedal to get the pin back in on the lower adjustment.

If the handle does not end up in the middle with new rear shoes, I repeat the procedure.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3929