Topic: Have to run at night little worried

FFracer    -- 10-28-2011 @ 5:57 PM
  So were going to a car show tomorrow I have never run the 33 Cabriolet at night, so last night I gave it a try headlights on at about 50-55 MPH the amp gauge shows about 4 amp DISCHARGE. I need to go about 20 miles. I thought maybe the Gen. was a three wire having the one adjustable brush (Like my 26T) but nope it's a two brush with cut out. charges great with no lights gauge sits center when off so I ass-u-me it's accurate. Is the a way to adjust output for this run or is 20 miles no big-deal.

Thanks,
Chris

shogun1940    -- 10-28-2011 @ 7:47 PM
  go to technoflathead web site and it will tell you how to adjust the reg.

supereal    -- 10-28-2011 @ 7:54 PM
  If your generator has a cutout instead of a regulator, it is likely the the third brush is, in fact, movable to adjust output. You can set it by observing the ammeter with the headlights turned on, or by putting a voltmeter across the battery, again with the lights on, and set the brush for at least volts. If you don't drive much at night, you should reset the brush to prevent overcharging the battery, which will cause damage. Remove the band on your generator to see the brush.

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2011 @ 9:59 PM
  Chris, before making any adjustments, check your ammeter reading with lights on and off. It's possible that you have the ammeter wire going through the loop in the wrong direction. In every case, your gage should show less charge with lights on than with lights off. If this is the problem, the fix is simply to remove the hot wire from it's terminus, pull it back through the ammeter loop, and replace it from the opposite direction. Electricity is weird!

Alan

TomO    -- 10-29-2011 @ 7:53 AM
  Chris,

The stock generator on a 33 Ford is a 3 brush generator with a cutout. Look carefully at the back of your generator for a screw that does not go all of the way through the generator. That screw should allow you to adjust the third brush.

Another option is a solid state regulator that replaces the cutout. The generator still has the 3rd brush, it is not used.

I have never seen a 2 bush generator with a generator mounted regulator, so I cannot tell you how to adjust it.

I don't know how to advise you on using your car on a night trip for 20 miles. It depends on the state of charge in your battery and the capacity of your battery. In any case, you would be near the limits of the battery to restart the car after the trip.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-29-11 @ 7:57 AM

FFracer    -- 10-29-2011 @ 9:25 AM
  I will look again but i would swear it had only two brush's funny you should mention disconnect of the third brush when i pulled back the band cover one of the brush's (passenger side) was disconnected i figured the screw fell out, so I found an appropriate screw and put it back together, Still charges the same great while running with no lights but just cannot get the gauge to move over to the + side with lights.
Battery is the Ford script, it's new and fully charged.
There is no regulator see picture. If this is a solid state cutout should it regulate the amps to keep the supply above the draw??

supereal    -- 10-29-2011 @ 1:07 PM
  That is a three brush generator. The cutout is simply a relay that disconnects the generator from the charging circuit when the battery reaches a voltage that equals or exceeds the generator output. This prevents battery discharge. When the generator voltage rises above the battery, the relay closes and charging begins. As you report finding an unconnected wire inside the generator, it is a good bet someone had a problem with the generator, and unhooked the third brush.

TomO    -- 10-30-2011 @ 9:17 AM
  The picture shows a 3 brush generator with a cutout relay mounted on it.

It has been so long since I adjusted a 3 brush generator, I had to go looking for a book with a drawing of the Ford generator. From the drawing, the 3rd brush appears to be on the passenger side of the car. Adjust the charging rate by moving the brush in the direction of the rotation of the armature.

If this doesn't change th charging rate, you probably need to take the generator in for service.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 10-30-11 @ 9:19 AM

FFracer    -- 10-31-2011 @ 7:09 AM
  I will look again but I checked and cannot see an adjustment screw on the backside just the two through bolts these have a hex heads. I will be pulling the genny Wednesday so maybe I will see it when its sitting in my lap!

Thanks,
Chris

drkbp    -- 11-03-2011 @ 6:10 PM
  FFracer,

There is no screw on the back to adjust the third brush. The plate holding the third brush is under finger springs inside the rear housing.

From where your picture was taken, take off the band cover and you will be looking at the third brush. Slide it toward you (the direction of the fan rotation) about a 1/2" and check your charge. If your generator is working properly, you will have increased your charge about 4-5 amps. Check it to about +4 to 6 amps. Mine shows about 4 to 5 amps without lights and about 0 to -1 with the lights on and I am running a cutout just like you have.

Be carefull and don't try to force one of the fixed brushes because you can break the casting. Mounted in the car it is hard to see the two fixed brushes because they should be under.

No need to take it out of the car. You can do it on the side of the road with a screwdriver. Do NOT do it with the car running.

Ken in Texas

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3912