Topic: Heater/Defroster

Joe2009    -- 12-01-2009 @ 9:18 AM
  I would like to install a heater in a '39 Ford Coupe. Where can I get one? What does it look like? Where is it located? How is it connected?

supereal    -- 12-01-2009 @ 9:57 AM
  Joe: If you want a "correct" heater, it will likely have to be found thru a search for a used one. There are "universal" heaters available from places such as C&G and Drake, to name a couple. They usually sell in the $200 range. They aren't difficult to install, requiring drilling the firewall and running hoses, then making a power connection. You should be aware that most of these heaters, new and old, don't produce the kind of heat that modern cars enjoy. The last "real" heater I installed was from a junkyard, and required extensive renovation of the core and case. The replacement control was pricey as well. I'm glad that at least the motor was usable. The proper heater didn't produce as much warmth as the Chevy pickup heater that was in the car when I bought it, but now it is "right".

alanwoodieman    -- 12-01-2009 @ 1:43 PM
  the 39 heater is a two door unit like the 40 heater with a few exceptions such as a stop on the door for the floor shifter in a 39. They were made for Ford by Eaton Corp. I will send a picture of the heater in my 40. It will give the location and an idea what one looks like. I think a 39 was painted brown.

trjford8    -- 12-01-2009 @ 7:32 PM
  The 39 had two different types of heaters. One was the hot air heater and the other was the hot water heater. In the V-8 Club's 38-39 restoration manual you will find phots and descriptions of both heaters. The hot air heater worked off the exhaust manifold with a "heat exchanger". In todays world it is difficult to find a "heat exchanger" that is good enough to use. Most have deteriorated to the point where they may leak carbon monoxide gas into the car. Finding a complete one is getting difficult.
The hot water heaters show up on e-bay, but they have become pricey in restored condition. If you are not too concerned with originality you can find accessory heaters on e-bay or at swap meets. You will find many"Southwind" heaters for sale, but they operate off of gasoline. Somehow I have a real aversion to gasoline heaters inside of a car.

trjford8    -- 12-01-2009 @ 7:36 PM
  The 39 had two different types of heaters. One was the hot air heater and the other was the hot water heater. In the V-8 Club's 38-39 restoration manual you will find phots and descriptions of both heaters. The hot air heater worked off the exhaust manifold with a "heat exchanger". In todays world it is difficult to find a "heat exchanger" that is good enough to use. Most have deteriorated to the point where they may leak carbon monoxide gas into the car. Finding a complete one is getting difficult.
The hot water heaters show up on e-bay, but they have become pricey in restored condition. If you are not too concerned with originality you can find accessory heaters on e-bay or at swap meets. You will find many"Southwind" heaters for sale, but they operate off of gasoline. Somehow I have a real aversion to gasoline heaters inside of a car.

old 40 guy    -- 12-05-2009 @ 7:55 PM
  If you are interested in installing an original 1939 hot water heater, I have a contact for you - call Gary at 302-383-1072 (Wilmington DE). He is honest and quite knowledgable - I have purchased an original heater and switch for 40 Ford. I think he also has switch for 39 heater. Good luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=391