Topic: Gauge question 1933 Cabriolet

FFracer    -- 10-28-2011 @ 8:36 AM
  Hi all,
new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post for the 33.
The gauge i have is a combination amp and oil pressure, amp works fine but the O/P gauge just has a red "OFF" when running or not. there are two electrical lugs on top of the gauge one wire is going to a sending unit which has two spades, the other has nothing connected. So the sending unit has two male spades I am thinking So the sending unit is a switch, right? one wire to the gauge (actually a switch also) the other to batt. voltage. Then the gauge has that one wire from the sending unit then the other lug to body. Sound right??? It's a positive ground car so I just am not sure.
Thanks for any input.

Chris

This message was edited by FFracer on 10-28-11 @ 8:38 AM

supereal    -- 10-28-2011 @ 9:43 AM
  The typical ford oil pressure system has a connection to the gauge from the ignition switch accessory post or the input end of the ignition resistor, and a connection to the sender from the other post of the gauge. The sender provides a ground connection that varies with oil pressure. If you have two connections on the sender, the other is for a condenser. Usually the sender is grounded by the threads of the mount. The second post was often used as a connection to a condenser, and shouldn't be constantly grounded. When you are sure the gauge is powered, try each connection on the sender to see which one is correct. If either post is grounded at the sender, the gauge will not operate. The condenser was used to "dampen" the gauge, and isn't critical to the operation. If Teflon tape was used on the sender threads, or the engine ground strap isn't working, the gauge will be affected.

FFracer    -- 10-28-2011 @ 10:07 AM
  AWESOME!!!! just hooked up a wire to the Gauge/switch and viola! start the motor and goes from the red "OFF" to a green "ON". Soooo Cool!

Thank You so much.

Chris

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3908