Topic: Soldering the ferrules

carguy    -- 10-28-2011 @ 8:23 AM
  Lately I've read here about soldering the ferrules to assure no air leaks. Makes sense to me but this is a new technique to me and I'd like some details on how this is done.

First of all I'm assuming that a technique like this does not work on flared fittings.

Most of the ferrules I've seen are brass, do these solder to steel lines or is silver soldering needed?

Thanks for teaching an old guy a new trick.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

supereal    -- 10-28-2011 @ 9:49 AM
  Bill: You don't need ferrules on a flared fitting line. Soldering the ferrule to a fuel line usually isn't a problem, as most lines are copper coated steel. You simply clean the area, apply some flux, slide the ferrule into place, and apply heat. We use a 100 watt soldering iron, but careful use of a torch is OK, as long as you don't damage the line and ferrule by overheating. The ferrule is supposed to seal when the fitting is tightened by deforming the piece enough to grip the line. Problems arise when the ferrule is reused instead of being replaced when the connection is changed. The slightest leak will interfere with the ability of the pump to provide sufficient fuel.

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  Bob, that pretty much covers it except for one little detail... Don'cha want a little cream in your coffee? maybe just a touch of solder?

Alan

kubes40    -- 10-28-2011 @ 2:50 PM
  Bill, I'd like to add a bit to Supers great explanation... Ford soldered the ferrules when the cars were assembled. Apparently there is a good reason for it as Super points out.
This is almost always overlooked and can cause problems if not done.

carguy    -- 10-29-2011 @ 5:26 AM
  Thanks guys. This was a new one for me in spite of the fact that I've been working on old Fords since 1953. Just goes to show that we're never too old to learn.

This will, from now on, be SOP for all future work. Thanks again.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3907