Topic: Choice of Brake Fluid

Airrace    -- 10-26-2011 @ 7:52 AM
  I just recently acquired a 1939 Ford Deluxe Sedan and the car has been stored in a covered garage for several years. The brakes seemed to be locked up. I checked the master cylinder and found it empty of fluid. What type of fluid should I try and use? I am hopping to fill the reservoir, bled the brakes and see if it will work properly again.

I wasn't sure if I should use Dot 2 or 3.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

TomO    -- 10-26-2011 @ 8:08 AM
  The brake fluid is most likely DOT 3.

The wheel cylinders and the master cylinder are most likely severely rusted from sitting with DOT 3 brake fluid and you will not be safe driving the vehicle if you just try bleeding the brakes.

I would first back off the adjusting cams on all 4 wheels and then try to free the brakes by moving the car. Once the brakes shoes become unstuck, remove all 4 wheels and clean and inspect the shoes and drums. I would expect that you will see enough rust on the drums to warrant turning.

If the shoes clean up and show little wear, then I would replace all of the wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, any rusted brake lines and all 3 of the flex lines.

Tom

CharlieStephens    -- 10-26-2011 @ 8:48 AM
  Remember is you press the brakes and the wheel cylinders are rusted (and they probably are) you will push the shoes into the drums and you will have a great deal of difficulty in removing the drums to work on the brakes. Once the shoes are pushed into the drums you will not be able to roll the car.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 10-26-11 @ 8:50 AM

nelsb01    -- 10-26-2011 @ 12:59 PM
  If you have to re-due the whole system, then the answer to your question "What type of fluid should I try and use?" Once you clean and replace parts there is only one answer.
And that answer is -- silicon brake fluid.
Doesnt hold moisture, and I have had no problems in 15 years. And I live in the north country where we park them part of the year.

supereal    -- 10-26-2011 @ 6:04 PM
  Two things to remember: use only brake fluid from a new, unopened container. DOT 3 is "hydroscopic" , and attracts moisture. Silicone (DOT 5) "entrains" air, and it is vital that the fluid is not shaken, or otherwise agitated, or getting a firm pedal will be very difficult, and will require lots of expensive fluid to try to bleed the system. If you use DOT 3, and bleed it every couple of years until the fluid runs clear, your system will do fine. If you replace all cylinders and flush the lines with alcohol, that would be the time to convert to DOT 5 if you desire. Trying to put silicone in an old system without such replacement is asking for problems.

trjford8    -- 10-26-2011 @ 7:15 PM
  Everyone here has given you good advice.I would use Dot 5 only if you redo the complete system. I'm a firm believer in Dot 5, but I only use it in a brand new system. If this car has sat for a long time you should replace all wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and the flex hoses. The brake shoes can be used as long as they have not been contaminated by leaking fluid. Rebuilding the brake system is cheap compared to the cost of an accident or injury due to a faulty system. Trying to save an old system is not cost effective.

wrosenkrans    -- 10-27-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  When we first got our '42 Tudor the brakes were in rough shape, not locked up but not working well either. I went through and replaced the master and wheel cylinders, all flexible lines, ran the steel lines which seemed OK, cleaned and adjusted everything and the brakes now work as they should. Relatively cheap insurance against problems.

I use the DOT 3 fluid and change it every year, but I like tinkering with the car plus it gives me a chance to check everything over.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-27-2011 @ 1:30 PM
  hi
I use VALVEOLINE HIGH PERFORMANCE SYNTHETIC brake fluid. its better then 3 or 4, I used it on a 37 FORD, 2002 Lexus.83 MERCEDES BENZ 300TD,95 DODGE D 250 DIESEL
PLUS MANY MORE.,
ITS about $5.00 for a quart.
better then the reg fluid,
superreal is right about the silicone brake fluid.
I used it 2 times with problems each time,
not worth $30.00 a quart for sure,
this is only my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN
I would rather bleed the brakes,every few years,
this way I can keep A EYE on the system,
inclosed in a picture of what I use.,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-27-11 @ 1:32 PM

trjford8    -- 10-27-2011 @ 8:16 PM
  Ragtopman, that's exactly what I have been using.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3894