Topic: 6-Volt Heater Motor

Steves46    -- 10-25-2011 @ 4:37 PM
  The 4-wire 6-volt heater motor on my 46 coupe bit the dust and needs to be rebuilt. Since it seems nobody in the Tampa area wants to mess with it, (unless someone out there has a good 4-wire unit for sale), I may go ahead and get one of those universal models however the problem is that they have 2 wires-one for power; the other for ground. Considering I have the 4 wire switch, I should be able to find the terminal that works the high speed for the motor and make the connection. Will this work or am I overlooking something? Appreciate any assistance. Steve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-26-2011 @ 5:46 AM
  Steve
post a picture and a part number,
also put a add in the wanted section of this web site,in the classified section,
most of the fan motors are very much a like.
there are also people in HEMMING'S that would rebuild what you have,
it probably only needs a set of brushes,[ many small engine shops carry brushes for, elect drills and such,
also elecrtical motor repair shops.] or just a good cleaning, was it working and then stopped working?
using electrical motor cleaner on it, might get it going again,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

oldford2    -- 10-26-2011 @ 6:47 AM
  Steve, the 4 wires are: 2 for low/high speed in forward (heat)and 2 for low/high speed in reverse (blows up the defrost tubes in reverse when you pull he defrost cable which redirects the air up the tube). As Ragtop said, if you get the motor out it should be an easy repair. The hard part is getting the heater out. disconnect the inlet/outlet hoses and clamp in a piece of pipe to the ends. That way you can run the car while you are getting the motor repaired. You are young and skinny so easier than an old fat guy to get under the dash so don't send Vic in to disconnect.
John

joe b    -- 10-26-2011 @ 7:08 AM
  You might try Larry Caplan in Ca. He has heater parts etc. 818 366 9178. I have dealt with him on my heater. He is OK

supereal    -- 10-26-2011 @ 7:10 AM
  The four wire motors are hard to find, and expensive, if you do locate a serviceable used one. The single speed, one direction motors available work fine, as the originals were effective only when at high speeds direct only, for the most part. Most of us are now used to "climate control", and while better than nothing, most of the original heaters were hardly worth the name. To find connection to the switch, use a voltmeter between a ground and the switch terminals until you find those that are "hot" (no pun)and use them in parallel to run the motor. A separate ground wire is usually require with those motors.

Steves46    -- 10-26-2011 @ 7:26 AM
  Thanks everyone for the replys. The motor was removed and when I opened it up to check internal wire connections, a small spring jumped out (origin unknown)and landed on my work bench. Essentially the motor looks really clean but now I need to figure out where that darn spring is supposed to go.

supereal    -- 10-26-2011 @ 7:43 AM
  Check the brushes. That is the usual reason for springs.

TomO    -- 10-26-2011 @ 8:25 AM
  Steve,

Most shops that repair generators will repair the heater motors. If you cannot find one locally, check out the services section of Hemmings.

In most cases the reason that the motors stop is that the brushes are worn or that the bushings have dried out.

What does the spring look like? if it is a spiral type, I have only seen them used for the brushes. If it is a flat,conical style, they are used by the shaft bushing.

Tom

Steves46    -- 10-26-2011 @ 10:06 AM
  Tom, the spring is spiral. Thanks.

flathead48    -- 10-26-2011 @ 3:04 PM
  Steve, I have rebuilt several, if the armature is good it is not a big deal to rebuilt. Thanks Rick

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3890