Topic: EV8 raffle engine

40cpe    -- 10-24-2011 @ 6:12 AM
  The raffle engine was at the Moonshine Festival this past week-end. The engine was running just about the whole time I was around it.I've always been advised against running an engine on a stand for long periods. Is this engine going to be usable by next June at the drawing?

Stroker    -- 10-24-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  If the motor had sufficient coolant supplied; you could run it daily, and it wouldn't be any different than a typical industrial application.

jim5618    -- 10-24-2011 @ 5:27 PM
  UUMM.....what raffle engine? Where do I get tickets?

40cpe    -- 10-24-2011 @ 7:02 PM
  But an industrial engine would be under load

Stroker    -- 10-25-2011 @ 8:24 AM
  And, being under load, would wear quicker than simply "motoring" over. Ford actually
"motored" engines after final assembly using large electric drives to break them in.

About the only problem you might see running an unloaded engine on a test stand, would
be a tendency to accumulate carbon deposits on the plugs if the fuel mixture is overly rich. Otherwise, I believe the "raffle engine" will survive a few shows without issues.

Stroker    -- 10-25-2011 @ 8:24 AM
  Removed double post.

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-25-11 @ 8:26 AM

40cpe    -- 10-25-2011 @ 12:08 PM
  I'll let you know if I win it.

Stroker    -- 10-25-2011 @ 4:44 PM
  Well I hope that someone who needs it, wins it. If it has been run for several hundred hours with no load, the bearings, gears and cam lobes should have been nicely lapped-in. About the only negative issues I can think of would be the aforementioned carbon build-up, and the possibility
that the rings haven't really seated due to the light duty operating condition. I'd guess if you are lucky enough to score this motor, that you might have some oil consumption issues until you
start driving it hard enough to really seat the rings.

Good Luck!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3883