Topic: Thanks to All!

swmddo    -- 10-23-2011 @ 11:46 AM
  I want to thank everyone on this forum for helping me get my '48 coupe going! I had the engine removed in March and had it balanced, with new rings, pistons, and valves. Once it was back together, I had multiple problems, starting with what I thought was the coil. Once I got that figured out, I had problems with a major oil leak, at the rear seal. Turns out the "kit" of gaskets I got did NOT have the cork seal for the rear! I completely missed it! No wonder! At any rate, after RE-pulling the engine and installing the $2 part (along with new pan gaskets, etc), it is running like a scalded dog...no drips, none!

Thanks again to all who helped me along the way. As many have said, "it's the journey"...

Steve

swmddo    -- 11-02-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  I spoke too soon...:-(

My '48 coupe, after fixing the oil leak, starts and runs fine...for about 3 miles, and then stops. I have read many other postings regarding this same behavior, so I am tracking down every possibility. As the car slows to an intersection, as I get ready to turn and shift into 2nd, the engine dies, and then it takes at least an hour before I can get it started again. Meanwhile the battery , while checks good (and is a NEW one), seems to drag. I am checking to see if the starter motor is fried somewhat. This is after the car ran great BEFORE the engine overhaul...I could accept the fact that because it is so 'tight', compared to what it was, that some sort of vacuum problem caused the spark
plugs to "blow out". Am working now with a mechanic who grew up on these engines. I'll let you know...

Steve

TomO    -- 11-03-2011 @ 8:10 AM
  Steve,

Stopping after 3 miles sound like it may be the coil or condenser. I have seen a few of the 42-48 condenser with a cold soldered joint on the grounding tab.

The starter problem could be due to poor grounding or corroded cables. With a tight engine any circuit resistance will be magnified. Check that the surface of the oil pan that mates with the starter is not painted and that the starter is not painted in that area also. Check your ground straps to the engine. Use your voltmeter to make a voltage drop test on the cables.

Tom

swmddo    -- 11-03-2011 @ 3:38 PM
  Tom, much appreciated. I also believe it is electrical in nature somehow....

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3878