Topic: Couple of '36 questions Picture

Flatbob    -- 10-21-2011 @ 5:31 PM
  Is the funnel for the spare tire locking mechanism black or should it be painted body color? This was the very last piece I needed to complete a 15+ year journey!
Took the car out for a spin today after having some debris in fuel line; I think I have that solved now and the car ran better than ever. I have 260 miles on it but still suffers from low compression, 70-90 pounds. I think I may have ruined the rings by running the engine for 2-3 hours before actually driving it; I now know this wasn't a good idea. So my question is, would I feel a noticeable difference in driving performance if I was getting 120+ pounds? It doesn't smoke and idles nicely with good throttle response.

trjford8    -- 10-21-2011 @ 6:29 PM
  Great looking sedan. I really like the color. To my knowledge the funnel portion of the lock was body color. If you car runs good, doesn't smoke and drives good I would not worry about it. You only have 260 miles on it, so it's not even broken in yet. It might take a bit to seat the rings. Check the compression after you get 800-1000 miles on it.

supereal    -- 10-21-2011 @ 6:29 PM
  You didn't ruin the rings unless the engine overheated badly. I'd run a dry/wet compression test to see if the rings or valves are leaking. The quality of the cylinder honing has a big effect on ring seating, if not done properly. Lining up ring gaps is important, as is setting the ring gap. I'd run the engine for a few hundred miles, then recheck it. The compression will come up if the rings seat. Don't use synthetic oil, at least during break in, or the rings won't seat. Lots of old flatheads run very well with 70-90 lbs compression, so drove it and see what happens.

Kens 36    -- 10-21-2011 @ 7:48 PM
  Bob,

That is one nice-looking sedan!

Ken

Flatbob    -- 10-21-2011 @ 9:31 PM
  I was hoping you were going to tell me it was black, would be much easier! But I will do it the correct way.
Thanks.

Flatbob    -- 10-21-2011 @ 9:32 PM
  Ken, thanks for the compliment. Bob

3w2    -- 10-22-2011 @ 9:07 PM
  Bob,

It was black, not body color. It wasn't a visible part so there was no justification to go to the extra expense of painting it body color. I once had six early-take off '36 spare tire covers all in different colors of original paint and in all instances, the 'funnel' inside the cap was painted black.

Flatbob    -- 10-25-2011 @ 9:36 AM
  3X2, I like the sound of your opinion as it would make painting much easier. The one I have now is rusty black but I figured it came off of a black car. Thanks Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3874