Topic: door lock

41-42fordadvisor    -- 10-21-2011 @ 12:32 PM
  I own a 1942 Ford Coupe with 59,000 original miles. It has the original Hurd locks and keys. The key will not turn to lock the passenger side door. I can lock the passenger side door by pulling up on the inside door handle. The drivers side door does lock and unlock by turning the key in the door lock. If I take the passenger side door lock out the key does turn to lock and unlock the lock. If I put a allen wrench in the door lock it does turn easily to lock and unlock the door. If I take out the drivers side lock out and install the passenger side lock in it's place the key will turn and lock and unlock the drivers side door. If I put the drivers side lock in the passenger side door the key will not turn to lock the door. I can not figure out why I can't lock the passenger side door with the key. Does anyone know how to fix this or do I need to call a locksmith. Any help would be appreciated and thank you.

trjford8    -- 10-21-2011 @ 6:36 PM
  The issue is in the door latch. The mechanism that moves up and down in the latch to lock the door is probably broken. It's a diecast piece and after all this time has fractured. The latch will have to be removed and you will have to find a new door latch.The passenger latch is the easy one to find and NOS ones are often on e-bay.

supereal    -- 10-21-2011 @ 6:39 PM
  Kind of sound like the old "who's On first" routine. If the key lock cylinders are both free and turn with a key, but one side doesn't work, the latch is at fault. You will have to pull the offending latch out and inspect it to see what is stuck or broken. Latches are subjected to water and dirt inside the doors, and it is unusual to find a car without at least one that isn't bad.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 10-22-2011 @ 11:20 AM
  Thanks for the help. I got it fixed by spraying on some lubricant on the latch and used a little force with duckbill pliers. Then I just kept working it until I could turn the key all the way around with my hand. When I was all done I sprayed on some more lubricant. It should be good to go for the next 70 years. Again thanks for the help you guys are great.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3872