Topic: Using Dyna Beads To Balance Tires

john38coupe    -- 10-20-2011 @ 2:06 AM
  I will be mounting 5 new tires recently purchased at Hershey and looking at balancing options. I would like to know if anyone has had experience with Dyna Beads and what your success was and your thoughts on using on a 1938 Ford with 5.50x16 tires.

Stroker    -- 10-20-2011 @ 6:07 AM
  Having "wide-fives" as you do, I understand your frustration. Personally, while Dyna Beads seem to work on some narrow motorcycle tires, your 5/50's may require weights on the inside AND outside to overcome unbalance in the cross-section width of your tires.

I would opt for purchasing a balancing adapter plate (one-time expense), and having your tires spin balanced by a "real" tire shop.

51f1    -- 10-20-2011 @ 6:28 AM
  My experience has been that the old type and size tires don't always need to be balanced. If they do, take them to a place that sells tires, and have them balanced with lead weights. Is there something about a '38 Ford that I don't understand?

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 10-20-11 @ 6:31 AM

TomO    -- 10-20-2011 @ 6:50 AM
  Richard, the wheels on the 1936-1939 Ford products have a bolt circle that is wider than can be accommodated on most balancing machines. They require an adapter that will bring the center of the wheel closer to the modern standard.

John, I agree with Stroker, buy or borrow an adapter and have your tires spin balanced. The cost of an adapter is much less than the cost of replacing a tire that is cupped.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-20-2011 @ 2:52 PM
  Have your tore mounted by the best shop in your area. We have had problems with tires that are out of round. Even if balanced properly, these conditions will cause the car to shake, shimmy, and hop if not diagnosed. If a tire is out of round, send it back. Don't allow a shop to shave them.

shogun1940    -- 10-20-2011 @ 4:10 PM
  i have used dyna beads on my motor home and they work well. but do not put them in before you have a tire spun balanced. the adapter would be the way to go

john38coupe    -- 10-20-2011 @ 5:23 PM
  Thanks guys, I have found a fellow club member who has the balancing adapter plate so we can spin balance. I have been advised to send the tire back should I have one out of round and that Coker is pretty good on situations such as that. Hopefully, I won't have problems.....thanks again

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3868