Topic: Debris in '36 tank? Picture

Flatbob    -- 10-19-2011 @ 3:29 PM
  Installed Drake tank 3 years ago everything was fine, sent carb off to be rebuilt. Car sat for a couple of weeks, installed carb and wouldn't start; after trying a few different things with no luck I took a fuel sample and found debris. My three questions are: Why isn't inline fuel filter catching this debris and is there anything I can do short of dropping the tank? Does anyone know if Drake tanks are sealed; I installed it right out of the box as I thought it was good to go.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-19-2011 @ 4:28 PM
  did you replace the fuel line front to rear ?
to me it seems like it is after the fuel filter were you are picking up debris.
I doubt the dirt particles are from the tank. and if they are,looks like slag from the welds,???
you would think , these tanks should have be rinsed out before sending out to the customer,
maybe just for a short time use another inline fuel filter from the mech pump to the carb, and see what happens,
this is your best bet,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 10-19-2011 @ 4:44 PM
  Most of the debris in gas tanks came from the filling station. They are usually required to pay for gas delivery on the spot, and many just can't afford to do that, so they allow their tanks to go dry before they order more. A good inline gas filter should catch it, but some is so heavy that it simply clogs the filter. Buy your gas from a high volume place, and you will reduce the chance of junk in the tank. It is also not unusual for pipeline contamination to appear. Locally, our pipeline put liquid fertilizer in the gas transports. We had a field day fixing that one.

Flatbob    -- 10-19-2011 @ 6:27 PM
  Thanks for responding guys, my inline filter is located just before the inlet port on the pump. I put the debris on a white paper towel and upon closer inspection all the particles are a shiny black material; any ideas what that might be? The fuel line is new and I blew it out when I installed the tank. Funny thing is my wife's MG TD stopped running the other day; I gas them up at the same high volume station with the same grade of fuel. I never thought to check for dirty fuel on her car but now I will.

1932BB    -- 10-20-2011 @ 6:59 AM
  Paper pleated types of fuel filters work best between the pump and carb as the fuel is pushed through the filter under some pressure. A screen type filter may help if mounted before the pump, some being transparent so inspection is quick and easy, as is cleaning. I use both with good results.

Flatbob    -- 10-20-2011 @ 1:23 PM
  '32 BB, thanks for your input. I have a screen type filter just before the pump but was told the glass see through filters aren't available any longer.

supereal    -- 10-20-2011 @ 2:43 PM
  We use name brand inline filters, such as Fram. They are available in plastic or metal. I prefer the metal type, particularly under the car. Just be sure to use the worm type clamps, rather than the spring kind furnished with the filter. If you are inserting the filter in a metal line, be sure to use hose barbs between the lines and the hose.

TomO    -- 10-21-2011 @ 8:14 AM
  The debris in the picture should not keep your car from starting. It looks to big to get through the sediment bowl screen into the carburetor.

The inline filter may be leaking vacuum at the connections. The Ford fuel pump is slightly higher than the fuel in the tank, so it must develop 10" of vacuum to fill the carburetor bowl.

Tom

Flatbob    -- 10-21-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  TomO, my '36 doesn't have a sediment bowl, wish it did like my '53 does. I have a metal inline filter just before the pump. Am hoping there is a way of solving this problem without dropping the tank. Am going to dismantle carb. and see if there is debris in the carb.

supereal    -- 10-21-2011 @ 12:06 PM
  It appears that the rebuilt carb is the problem. If the car ran good before the carb was swapped, but not after, that is the clue. The debris in the bowl is probably generated by removing and reinstalling the fuel line. Your filter likely caught most of it. I am always suspicious of "rebuilts". At our shop, we get many of those, together with faulty new parts, some of which are OEM from the dealer.It is likely that the carb should be sent back to the rebuilder, or looked at by someone familiar with it. Carbs are fairly complicated units, and one mistake in assembly can render it useless.

Flatbob    -- 10-21-2011 @ 5:16 PM
  Used a one man brake bleeder attached to fuel line at firewall and kept squeezing and emptying till fuel was clear. Put everything back together and runs even better than before; I didn't think that was possible. By the way the carb was rebuilt by "Uncle Max" and never doubted it for a moment. Thanks everyone for the help. Bob

TomO    -- 10-22-2011 @ 7:13 AM
  Flatbob, the metal top of the fuel pump is a sediment bowl. Later pumps have a separate glass sediment bowl.

I'm glad that you finally got your car running and all of the debris out of the tank and line.

I really like the color of your car and you did a great job on the restoration.

Tom

Flatbob    -- 10-22-2011 @ 7:50 AM
  TomO, ah ha so that's where the sediment bowl is! I looked into that area for debris, there was none but I don't see how the screen filter would be very effective as it's not a tight fit in the chamber; maybe I don't understand how it works. Thanks for the compliment on the car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3866