Topic: 1946 Ford Speedometer KPH wanted

361V8    -- 10-17-2011 @ 12:13 PM
  Ladies and Gentlemen

I am the owner of a 1946 Ford V8 Convertible.
I am lookin for a Speedometer in KPH instead of the MPH Speedo. Where can
I buy that part? I am also willing to trade in my pristine MPH Speedo for
a KPH Speedo.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Stroker    -- 10-17-2011 @ 1:34 PM
  About a year ago, a Forum member named Fritz posted an identical question regarding a KPH speedometer for a 47. We weren't much help, but perhaps you could try to contact him: fzoldcars@comcast.net. He may have found a source in the meantime.

supereal    -- 10-17-2011 @ 5:01 PM
  When this came up earier, we pointed out that the only difference between a mileage unit and a kph speedo is the face markings. Today, most speedos have concentric markings that show both mph and kph. I suggest you contact good outfits such as Bob's Speedometer regarding an alternate face.

Stroker    -- 10-17-2011 @ 5:09 PM
  Super: Great advice on Bob's Speedometer, but as we hashed out a year ago, simply changing the face won't correct the problem with the odometer. If 361 just wants to
avoid speeding tickets, that will suffice. If he want's to know how far he's gone in
metric terms, he needs a different ratio to correct from miles to kilometers.

Dolman    -- 10-17-2011 @ 6:50 PM
  The distance traveled is easily converted to KM by this formula: KM = M x 1.600344. A constant of 1.6 would be close enough for US Government work but don't know the precision desired in the metric system countries. Anyway, keeping a simple odometer log in the gin box and doing the calculation would provide a reliable indication for oil changes, etc. and solves half of the problems in converting to KPH.

361V8    -- 10-17-2011 @ 11:29 PM
  Thank you very much for your ideas and quick responese. I'll try the Bob's adress and also will mail to Fritz. There is a 46' Ford in Cali with a KPH Speedo, but its surely almost impossible to find a NOS kph speedometer in 2011!

supereal    -- 10-18-2011 @ 7:17 AM
  The main complaint about the conversion is that the odometer still registers miles travelled, rather than kilos. The speedo drives are the same, but the needle arc is differently divided. Just look at most modern dials. There is usually a kph dial inside the mph. Some electronic speedos have a switch to change from one to the other, but I haven't seen a mechanical speedo with that feature. The drive to convert to metric years ago in this country didn't take hold, but who knows what is ahead. The only real iact was that most of us had to expand the metric items in our tool boxes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3856