Topic: help with 48 ford wing windows

FIGS48    -- 10-12-2011 @ 9:42 AM
  48 ford help!
I am trying to remove the wing windows from the metal interior door/window frames.They have a nut and spring on the bottom but look like they are rivioted on top.
Do I have to cut the riviot? I want to paint the frames and re-weather strip the windows
Has anyone taken these apart and reassemble them?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer
Figs 48

trjford8    -- 10-12-2011 @ 2:40 PM
  you will have to drill out the rivet to get them apart.If you are not worried about being totally stock you can put them back together with a button head allen and an acorn nut.

FIGS48    -- 10-12-2011 @ 4:57 PM
  Thank you for the tip!
I did'nt want to start drilling if there was an easer way.

supereal    -- 10-12-2011 @ 9:01 PM
  Be sure you have the correct packing for your glass, if you plan to replace it. I replaced the upper rivets with pop rivets. We shimmed the area between the frame and the bracket, popped the rivet, then pulled the shim so the wing could be turned. It isn't unusual for the upper bracket to be loose, and it should be tightened if you find any play.

TomO    -- 10-13-2011 @ 9:12 AM
  Drill out the rivet and install a new chrome plated or stainless rivet. Anything else will stand out like a wart on the end of your nose would.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-13-2011 @ 12:36 PM
  The wing window can be removed as an assembly if it is the same as the one on my convertible, and the original rivet can stay. The closed car may be different, of course. My car isn't a concourse type, so when I polished the head of the pop rivet, it looked better than any of the plated bolt and nuts I fished out of my collection. I had to take mine apart because the gear on the opening mechanism was stripped. As he says he has a nut and spring on the bottom, I would assume he has a deluxe, rather than a super deluxe, and a button latch on the window frame. Now, if I could just get that wart off my nose, Tom!

TomO    -- 10-14-2011 @ 7:31 AM
  The closed car is different. The vent window is part of the interior trim piece and has to be removed to replace the rubber seal.

Is that a regular wart or a hairy wart, Bob?

Tom

supereal    -- 10-14-2011 @ 9:07 AM
  My wife says it is a worry wart, Tom. Probably too much time at the grindstone!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3841