Topic: engine stand

parrish    -- 10-11-2011 @ 11:58 AM
  I need to buy an engine stand to work on a 37. Without breaking the bank, any recommendations? Thanks, all...

alanwoodieman    -- 10-11-2011 @ 12:52 PM
  DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT hang the engine off the bolts on the bellhousing on any pre-49 flathead, they will break off and then the engine will hit the floor and possible your feet!! Get one of the adapters made to bolt in place of an exhaust manifold.

oldford2    -- 10-11-2011 @ 1:28 PM
  Parrish, I used this search function and did not come up with anything. Go to Fordbarn and type "engine stand" in the search box. Many threads and posts on this subject. John

oldford2    -- 10-11-2011 @ 1:53 PM
  Parrish, here is my setup:
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/oldford2/cars/?action=view¤t=100_1668.jpg

Stroker    -- 10-11-2011 @ 2:42 PM
  Oldford:

That is one of the nicest "homebrew" flathead stands I've ever seen. You should post
plans for it.

JM    -- 10-11-2011 @ 5:35 PM
  Google "Stumpy's Fabrication Works" in CA.. He makes all kinds of engine stand adapters. He makes one for flathead engines that bolts to the side of the block at the exhaust ports. I believe it sells for about $60-$70.

JM

TomO    -- 10-12-2011 @ 6:58 AM
  Red's headers sells an aluminum adapter that works pretty well for $99. I have one like it. The one I have only mounts on the right side of the engine and will not allow you to mount the starter while the engine is on the stand.

Tom

51f1    -- 10-12-2011 @ 5:51 PM
  alanwoodieman: Us truck guys get no respect! I realize you car guys don't really care about us, but, please, everyone repeat after me: The last iteration of the Ford Flathead was introduced in 1948, not 1949. It was the 8RT and is for all practical purposes (the oil pan is probably the only difference) the same engine as the 8BA, so you are talking about the pre-'48 engines on the trucks and the pre-'49 engines on the cars.

I'll go back to sleep now.

Richard

Stroker    -- 10-12-2011 @ 7:07 PM
  Richard:

Wake Up! I concur, but what about those of us that ran Ford Industrial power units?
The same thing applies. My family grew citrus in SoCal and we had 4 frost protection
wind machines that used Ford engines. Two were 1949 Towt wind machines with Ford Industrial
power "pods". These were 1948 59A's with the two-piece oil pan,(one of which lives in my 38 wagon). Don't us farmers get any respect?

Now I'm going to sleep.

Dan

51f1    -- 10-14-2011 @ 1:32 PM
  Dan:

I've got a factory manual for Ford industrial engines based on the 8BA/8RT. Very interesting book. I'm a mechanical engineer, so I guess that explains why I'm more interested in the mechanical parts of the cars/trucks than the vehicle itself.

Richard

Richard

Stroker    -- 10-14-2011 @ 2:49 PM
  Richard:

I too am more "into" the mechanics than simply the cars. We had several Ford Industrial engines,
besides the 59A's; a couple of late-flathead 6's, and a 332 inch OHV V8. These were "packaged"
in their own enclosures with hood, side-panels and rudimentary "grilles" for use on wind machines.

I've seen some 4-cylinder power units installed with what appears to be the same hood/fuel tank
grille assembly that was used on 9N/2N/8N tractors. It seems that Ford Industrial offerings
were more completely "packaged" for agricultural use than other brands. Might make an interesting V8 Times article for the "motorheads" amongst us. Sort of like the interesting
variations found in Schramm air compressors.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3836