Topic: Wheel Doesn't Turn Freely (Brake Adjustment)

Steves46    -- 10-10-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  After smelling a burning scent coming from the drivers side front wheel on my 46 Coupe, I lifted the front end to see if I could spin the wheels...the driver's side does not turn freely. I do have good brake pedal and good brake fluid level. Before I remove the brake drum and start tearing into things, I was thinking about backing out the adjustment bolts just a bit to see if this would free-up the wheel. Is this a good first step? As always, I really appreciate the help and advice. Steve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-10-2011 @ 4:53 PM
  you are on the right track,
readjust the brakes,
step on the pedal and see if it is still free after releasing the pedal,
if not the wheel cylinder is sticking,rubber hose is ruptured, or the free play in the master cylinder is not enough , might be the problem,
let us know what happens,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

alanwoodieman    -- 10-10-2011 @ 4:54 PM
  when you adjust the brakes cold they tend to tighten up when hot-everything metal expands with heat. It is best to adjust when warm. I would allow to cool and see if they free up, then adjust to allow them to turn, warm the brakes up and reajust

Steves46    -- 10-10-2011 @ 5:11 PM
  Thanks to both of you for the tips. I will certainly provide an update when I have the next opportunity to tinker with it. Steve

TomO    -- 10-11-2011 @ 10:34 AM
  Steve, if you did not recently adjust your brakes, I would suspect the flex hose going to the wheel cylinder. They get soft inside and block the brake fluid from returning to the master cylinder.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-11-2011 @ 5:37 PM
  More often than not, the aluminum piston in the wheel cylinder has corroded, and s sticking in the cylinder. Replacement is the cure.

51f1    -- 10-14-2011 @ 1:34 PM
  You probably won't get the brake drum off w/o backing off on the adjustment.

Richard

supereal    -- 10-14-2011 @ 7:19 PM
  If the piston is stuck, the adjuster probably won't allow the shoe to retract. Sometimes the drum can be worked off if the wear ridge isn't too great. If so, the drum may have to be destroyed. If one wheel cylinder is corroded, the others are probably next, due to contaminated fluid.

Verloop    -- 10-16-2011 @ 12:31 PM
  I would suggest you check the anchor bolts. Two years ago, I changed my brake shoes,brake cams and anchor bolts. The brake cams were thinner than the brake shoes which pivot around the cams. When you tighten the anchor bolts, the brake shoe will be pulled against the back plate. Applying pressure to the foot brake, the shoes expand and will not return fully to its orinal position, causing drag.This can be remedied by sanding the brake shoes pivot point or placing a small washer behind the cam. I complained to the vendor about the thicknesses. Verloop

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3835