Topic: source for radials?

fomocoloco    -- 10-10-2011 @ 6:02 AM
  Where can I find radial tires for my 36. I'd like to buy them from a company with a name that dosen't start with "C". I'm trying to save a buck here.

weezer

trjford8    -- 10-10-2011 @ 7:48 AM
  Wide white radial tires of any brand tend to be pricey. I would recommend Diamondback classics.Check out; www.dbtires.com.

supereal    -- 10-10-2011 @ 8:35 AM
  Your spoked wheels may not hold air for tubeless radials, which could require installing tubes. That does reduce some of the advantages. Given the cost difference between radials and bias ply, it hardly seems to justify the change. The new bias ply tires don't flat spot as did the old ones, and tend to track better on a car with less than very good front end parts.

JM    -- 10-10-2011 @ 9:04 AM
  I'm running Diamondback radials w/tubes rated for radials on one of my '35's and Coker radials w/tubes on another. Made a huge difference in ride and handling as compared to the Coker Firestone WWW bias ply tires that I had on there previously. I personally would never consider going back to bias ply tires regardless of the price difference. JMO

Picture of '35 w/Diamondback radial smooth BW's. 750x16 on rear, 550x16 on front.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 10-10-11 @ 9:09 AM

tudorbilll    -- 10-12-2011 @ 11:35 AM
  Dont worry about wire wheels not holding air.I,ve had tubeless on my 35 8 yrs never have to add air The spokes are weleded on the outside of the wheel.you can buy black walls many places. bought four for my pickkup[generals] at aplace in Reno go to there web sit [tire rack]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire

fomocoloco    -- 10-12-2011 @ 12:02 PM
  I called them.
Smartass teenage salesman assured me that they have nothing close to 600x16 blackwall radials.
My 36 has stock wheels, no spokes.

weezer

trjford8    -- 10-12-2011 @ 2:37 PM
  weezer, get the height of your current tire and get the width of the rim( probably 4 inches) and go to a local tire shop. Many newer cars have 16 inch tires and the local shop has the dimensions in their catalogs. You may need tubes as your 16s are riveted to the rim. There is the possiblity that a rivet could leak.

alanwoodieman    -- 10-12-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  call your Firestone/Bridgestone dealer and ask him about their Ecopia brand EP02 it is a 195/80R16 that is the same size as a 6:00 16 this is a blackwall

BERTHA    -- 10-13-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  You get what you pay for, C sells a good product made in USA.
I've always been happy with the bias tires, it's a 53 Ford after all, not a Porcha.

Bob

"it's only original once""

tudorbilll    -- 10-17-2011 @ 6:22 PM
  215/70/R16 is made buy Dunlap&General that i know of the diamondback is a Dunlap.

1934 Ford    -- 10-17-2011 @ 6:37 PM
  Weezer,
Call Diamondback again and if you get the smartass, ask for the owner. I think it's Bob.
He knows his stuff and can fix you up.
I just returned form th Glidden Tour and noticed many antique cars with radials and all of the owners loved them. My next set on our 34 Fordor will be Diamondback radials like we have on our 35 Buick.

Jim    -- 10-18-2011 @ 1:38 PM
  I put Coker wide white raials on my 36 Ford four years ago... used tubes and the stock rims. COMPLETELY satisfied with them, and the ride and handling improved dramatically. They are a bit pricey, but worth the money.

supereal    -- 10-18-2011 @ 4:43 PM
  I've bought from Coker, but found they are not cooperative when their items are defective. Be sure you know the return policy of anything bought. Too often, they have a bogus "restock charge"', even when their product fails to fulfill expectations, or fails. My problem was an "out of round" situation, and they fought me until I got tough. After over sixty years, I do know how to mount tires!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3833