Topic: hard starting engine

46fordnut    -- 10-07-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  i just have one question ....it seems i thought i had it fixed but still have 1 issue. when engine is cold or sits over night needs choke to start. if it runs till its at normal running temp, if i shut it off won't restart unless i put full choke.. carburetor or fuel pump . I'm kinda leaning on fuel pump. i cant find a fuel pressure gauge that goes low enough to test pressure. idle is fine just a small flat spot on excell .

100 horse running wild

LanceD    -- 10-07-2011 @ 8:18 PM
  Have you checked out this little writeup on troubleshooting the carburetor from flatheadv8?

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/Flathead_trouble-carbs_34-38strom.htm

Also have you checked your fuel lines?

Is it that hard to find a pressure guage that measures in the 0 - 5 lbs range?

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

Pauls39    -- 10-07-2011 @ 9:26 PM
  Check your spark. Gap one plug at 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch, you should see a bright blue spark when the engine is cranked over. A weak spark will require a richer mixture to start the engine , thus the need to use the choke.
If the spark is weak or dull yellow start looking for ignition problems. Worn points, weak coil, or poor grounds would be good suspects.
Most carburator problems are electrical in nature.

TomO    -- 10-08-2011 @ 7:01 AM
  46fordnut,

If you have an automotive vacuum gauge, it also allows you to check fuel pump pressure.

Have you looked to see if there is gas in the carburetor bowl? There should be enough gas in the bowl to start the car, even after sitting a week. If not, your power valve gasket is probably leaking.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-08-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  If your fuel pump isn't new and "fuel proof" it should be replaced, anyway. If the pump won't supply adequate fuel to replenish the amount in the carb bowl immediately when using the starter, requiring the choke is the result. With sufficient fuel, you shouldn't have to use the choke except in cold weather, if the system is in good condition.

46fordnut    -- 10-08-2011 @ 6:30 PM
  put a new fuel i bought one week ago. went around block half way. seemed OK. went a little more shut off. cranks very slow when it does this. but it think i still lost fuel. I'm thinking i need a new line from pump to carburetor i used a rubber line for all my tests . I'm thinking that is my issue now.

100 horse running wild

supereal    -- 10-08-2011 @ 8:55 PM
  Use only fuel proof rubber line, even for test purposes. I'd suspect the flex fuel line at the firewall if it is old. The inside is rubber, and in the presence of alcohol, will close up like a soda straw.

46fordnut    -- 10-09-2011 @ 7:23 AM
  i don't have the rubber flex line, i made a line out of plastic fuel injection line on my fire wall. I'm going to try to make a new one . maybe it has a pin hole . update i took bowl drain out no gas. took line off carburetor no fuel . took line off half a part fuel in one side not other . theirs my issue.also think i might have a slow internal gas leak/ won't restart if i shut it off. i have to hold pedal to the floor.

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 10-9-11 @ 4:08 PM

supereal    -- 10-09-2011 @ 8:09 PM
  Have you checked the fuel line between the tank and the firewall? We are finding them fully or partially logged by rust. It appears that the alcohol in gas is attacking the interior of the line where the copper coating has breached. I had to replace the line on my '47 for that reason. It shows up as a sudden engine stall after episodes of bucking on occasion. Finally, even my electric booster pump couldn't push fuel thru the line.

46fordnut    -- 10-10-2011 @ 12:42 AM
  new fuel pump fills very quick if it is empty . my one test line i had was very soft. that is one issue. second i did find a small leak inside my carburetor.

100 horse running wild

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3829