Topic: Need help getting a party number

LanceD    -- 10-03-2011 @ 9:22 AM
  So my 39 De Luxe had a water leak. The culprit was the petcock that pulls water out of the motor to feed the heater. It needs replaced and I can't find it in my parts book. I need some help locating a replacement and I'm hoping you guys can assist me, I'll attach a photo of what out tensions of it after thee difficult removal process

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

kubes40    -- 10-03-2011 @ 9:25 AM
  The valve you display is a replacement type. You'll find it difficult to find a correct valve. You will on the other hand find it easy to find a generic replacement. Go to your local NAPA store. Bring along the old one so they can match threads. I'd suggest you talk to a 'seasoned' counter person rather than the youngster that knows only the computer listings. Everco makes valves of all shapes and sizes.

alanwoodieman    -- 10-03-2011 @ 9:46 AM
  you will not find it the parts book, it will be listed as an accesory (hot water heater) and I have never found it listed by itself. A lot of the repop guys have it listed in their catalogs but I got mine from Advanced Auto Parts-right off the shelf. The Exact reproduction part does not exist as far as I could find.

carcrazy    -- 10-03-2011 @ 11:45 AM
  Hi Lance, MAC's offers a generic hot water heater shut off valve that threads into a cylinder head. Their part number is FDA-18495-D. Hope this helps.

supereal    -- 10-03-2011 @ 2:09 PM
  C&G (800/266-0470) has them as item 91A-15142, about $20. Be sure and get the valve with the shut off, as the heater can make driving uncomfortable in the summer without it.

LanceD    -- 10-03-2011 @ 2:58 PM
  Thanks for the replies guys! I just got a generic replacement. it was a lot easier to get then I thought it was gonna be. I flushed the entire cooling system, refilled it, made sure to include a rust and corrosion inhibiter and took the car for a little spin. It cools itself a lot better now.

I appreciate you guys answering my simple questions. I have a lot to learn about taking care of this car but man am I having fun figuring it out.

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

This message was edited by LanceD on 10-4-11 @ 2:07 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3816