Topic: Speedometer cable noise

gmharlow    -- 10-02-2011 @ 2:29 PM
  What is the best way to quiet a noisy speedometer cable?

alanwoodieman    -- 10-02-2011 @ 3:33 PM
  pull it out and clean and then coat with white lithium grease along the hole length

supereal    -- 10-02-2011 @ 8:38 PM
  Also check to be sure there are no kinks or sharp bends in the cable housing, and that the housing is not close to any part of the exhaust system.

37 Coupe    -- 10-03-2011 @ 5:45 AM
  Napa sells a product that has many uses and is good to keep in the tool box it is called SylGlyde,it is silicone grease in a tube. It has wide temperature range use and one of the uses listed is for speedometer cable.I slathered the whole length of mine with it and it won't melt or freeze up. Stuff is handy to have around for plumbing jobs also like changing faucet seats.

51f1    -- 10-10-2011 @ 8:48 AM
  You obviously don't own a truck. They are so noisy that you can't hear the radio.

Richard

trjford8    -- 10-10-2011 @ 1:10 PM
  gmharlow, a word of caution on pulling the speedometer cable out of the housing. If you pull it out from the top be sure to cover all your upholstery(seats,etc.) before pulling it out. Sure as heck if you don't cover them the cable will defintely find a place to land and leave a ice big grease stain on the upholstery. If you pull it out from the bottom you will only get grease on your t-shirt!

LanceD    -- 10-10-2011 @ 1:31 PM
  How does one go about getting the cable out

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

Steves46    -- 10-10-2011 @ 4:46 PM
  Hello Lance. If your set-up is the same as my 46 Coupe, I would recommend unscr*w*ng the cable connections at both the speedometer and the transmission. From there, you should be able to remove the cable. Once the cable is out, inspect it for any burs or frays...if you find any, I would recommend replacing the cable and sheath. All the parts houses carry them. Otherwise, clean the cable and as 37 Coupe suggested, coat with SylGlyde. I had the same problem with my 46 coupe and a new cable and SylGlyde fixed the problem. Good luck. Steve

TomO    -- 10-11-2011 @ 10:14 AM
  There is a ferrule at the speedometer end that will prevent you from pulling the cable from the transmission end.

Cover everything you can see, disconnect the cable from the speedometer and with a rag in one hand, gently pull the cable from the housing while wiping it off with the rag.

Examine the cable once you have it out. If there is any fraying, replace both the cable and the housing. If the cable looks good, coat it with cable lube as you replace it in the housing.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3815