Topic: '38 coupe door window removal

Tim I    -- 10-02-2011 @ 12:00 PM
  I need to replace both cracked door windows in my '38 Standard coupe. I have the passenger side interior door panel off, but do not see an obvious way to get the glass out. (And I cannot find anything in any of the Ford manuals.) I assume the window comes out the top, complete with the bottom channel. I see various screws holding the lift mechanism to the inner door panel, but don't have a clue which one might need to be removed to get the glass out. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Tim

40cpe    -- 10-02-2011 @ 5:40 PM
  Hi Tim, I went through this a few weeks ago with my '38 club coupe which has doors like a 2-door. There might be several ways to do it, but I disconnected the window from the regulator, rolled the window up and tied it, and removed the regulator. Then I carefully lowered the window to the bottom of the door and removed toward the inside of the car from under the diagonal brace. There is a peg that the regulator uses to pull the window back while lowering that prevents the window from being removed from the opening. Good luck.

fomocoloco    -- 10-02-2011 @ 7:57 PM
  a friend and i spent several hours replacing the glass in my 36 coupe. the free advice i can offer is to TAPE your forarms w/ duct tape to prevent numerous cuts from ragged sheet metal. you might be in there awhile. we only broke 1 piece.

weezer

Tim I    -- 10-05-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  Thanks for the responses. It wouldn't have occurred to me that the window would come out the bottom. Although I am sorely tempted to just live with the cracks (and keep the windows down), with winter coming, I guess I should find a way to get the glass out!

I may be back with more questions!

Tim

rg130    -- 10-06-2011 @ 9:29 AM
  I have a 37 coupe. The method I used was to:
1. remove inside door handles.
2. Remove door panel and window frame.
3. With window down remove center stud from the window channel.
4. Rotate window 90 degrees.
5. The window should now be able to pull out through the top.

Tim I    -- 10-07-2011 @ 9:21 PM
  Thank you for the info.

I've done all that, and have the center stud out, but how do I get the two lift mechanism rollers (one on each side)out of the channel so I can lift the window out?

Tim

40cpe    -- 10-08-2011 @ 5:19 AM
  Roll your window down while you watch the gear in the regulator. You will see where it stops there is a shoulder bolt through the regulator with a nut on the back. Remove the shoulder bolt and the regulator will operate more to the "down" position.The lift arms will move to the center and can be removed in the opening where the channel ends.

Tim I    -- 10-08-2011 @ 7:18 PM
  That did the trick!

Thank you very much!

Tim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3814