Topic: Source for Ford script battery case top

37 Coupe    -- 10-02-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  I remember years ago someone made the fake top for a Ford script battery case,this was to hide an Optima 6 volt. I looked through searchable insex and can find nothing. I just need a top. Was it the shock guy who retired,Lou Trinque? I think there was more than one person who supplied these. Antique Auto Battery will not help,they tell you right away that they are not in the business of selling "battery parts" only whole entire batteries. Thank You

TomO    -- 10-03-2011 @ 7:46 AM
  The fake tops used to be available from C&G. The way that I heard it is that they stopped selling them because there was a danger of the Optima exploding due to lack of ventilation.

Tom

37 Coupe    -- 10-03-2011 @ 8:39 AM
  Hopefully the pictures will show of my 5 year old Optima battery that I pulled out of Ford script case yesterday. Antique Auto Battery here in Ohio put this together. My concern now is why did the Optima's lead post meltdown and probably led to battery failure. I have only ever charged with the Walmart/Schumacher maintainer. I run a Whitney 6 volt alternator that I always believed never overcharged but mayby undercharged with stock 85 hp pulley on it. I would put maintainer on after an outing and it would need 15 minutes to go to green. Never any smell or overheating,but damage was below top of script case. Was once told or read that when made these are sealed with hot glue and baked to seal Optima in case. When I get new battery I will leave out to monitor. Bottom of case was wet with acid also so this may have been going on since new.

37 Coupe    -- 10-03-2011 @ 8:42 AM
  Picture I wanted to post

deuce_roadster    -- 10-03-2011 @ 9:10 AM
  I would make certain that the alternator is not charging at an ampreage that is too high before putting another into that charging system. Was there anytime that a direct short could have discharged the battery at a rate that would have created the heat necessary to melt the post?

37 Coupe    -- 10-03-2011 @ 9:38 AM
  No short that I can recall happening. Could it have internally shorted?

ford38v8    -- 10-03-2011 @ 6:54 PM
  It seems that several odd things are happening here. Your pictured Optima shows a two year warrantee, and Optimas today offers three years. Your battery was rated at 800CCA, while in the past they were rated 850CCA. Antique Auto Battery shows no such Optima conversion on their website, but apparently they did at one time. Rumor has it that the new 3/8" taller optima was modified due to an internal short.

It sure wouldn't hurt to run this by the Optima tech support guys. They may be able to shed some light on why this happened, as also a call to Antique Auto Battery may have answers. I'd certainly begin the conversation with your acknowledgement that it is way out of warrantee, or they may be defensive.

Alan

c-gor    -- 10-07-2011 @ 1:15 PM
  I purchased a Ford Script "Optima" from Antique Auto Battery. It would not hold charge. Returned it 3 times. Each time it was charged by them but no other fixes. After 3rd time gave up.

Purchased Ford Script conventional battery from Turbo.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3812