Topic: Remove piston and replace. Will rings be seated

MOXIE    -- 10-01-2011 @ 7:39 AM
  I would like to remove a piston and inspect the rings. If rings are OK, can I put the piston back in, even if the rings turn a bit, and the rings will still be seated.

Stroker    -- 10-01-2011 @ 7:57 AM
  Make sure to remove any carbon "ridge" at the top of the cylinder with a ridge-reamer prior to removal. I would lightly scuff the bore with a ball-hone before re-installing, even if you retain the old rings. Scrub the bore with soap and water after honing, and then wipe down
with oil. I like to dip the piston in fresh oil prior to installing the ring compressor.

MOXIE    -- 10-01-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  Why would I need to scuff the walls if the rings have already seated. Because I removed them?

Stroker    -- 10-01-2011 @ 11:35 AM
  Once seated, the rings generally don't rotate in their respective lands, but "conform" to the microscopic irregularities formed by their axial motion in the bore. Once you remove the piston, and re install it, it is unlikely that the rings will be positioned precisely in the same "micro-tracks" as before, so it is better to start with a fresh surface. If this was a racing engine with just a few hours of total engine life, you could get by without honing, but I'm assuming this is a motor you intend to not take apart weekly. A light honing properly done, will not affect clearances to any measurable degree.

The best advice would be to simply replace the rings, while you have the piston out and lightly
hone the bore to provide a new cross-hatch break-in surface. I'm a little perplexed as to why you need to "inspect" the rings in one cylinder unless you believe one is broken, or that all the ring gaps just happen to line up. If you find a broken ring, there is likely to be cylinder wall damage.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-01-2011 @ 1:31 PM
  I think you may have missed, that you should also check the ring glands on the piston for up and down movement of the rings on the piston,
sloppy rings on the pistons will never work correctly
if flip up and down with to much movement,
hope this helps. new pistons would be the best way to go,being you have the engine that far apart.,
measure the bore for size and taper,if the bore is in specs, you can replace the pistons with new rings,
make sure you use just reg SAE oil , no HD. for break in of the rings,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 10-1-11 @ 1:32 PM

Stroker    -- 10-01-2011 @ 3:37 PM
  Ragtop: Sorry bout dem glands.

supereal    -- 10-01-2011 @ 5:35 PM
  If you are concerned about the condition of your piston rings, do a wet/dry compresion check. It will determine the condition of the rings vs the valves. If you have problems with oil consumption, or poor performance! Suspect the rings. Otherwise, drive and enjoyment it !

This message was edited by supereal on 10-1-11 @ 8:00 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3811