Topic: 36 ford gas tank

JerryW    -- 09-30-2011 @ 11:17 AM
  Has anyone changed a gas tank on a "36 Ford. Looking for recommendations as to which vendor sells the best fit, or is it best to repair the old one. Tank has been sitting for 20 years with fuel and is very dirty.
Would have to cut open to clean.

kubes40    -- 09-30-2011 @ 11:21 AM
  Why do you feel it would need to be cut open?
In many areas there are Strip-Rite shops that boil out such things as this. I've used them numerous times with great results. You would of course need to seal the tank once stripped. That's an easy job...

Billc    -- 09-30-2011 @ 12:44 PM
  Radiator shops often clean and recoat gas tanks. I found this out after doing it. Not too hard a job.

Bill

36 pickup 47 COE

Henryat1140    -- 10-02-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  I went through this last year, and gathererd a lot of information regarding replacement tanks.

My conclusion?? The best solution is to stay with an original Ford gas tank.

The Drake tank needs modification to accept the OEM fuel sender, and the Poly tank from Tanks Inc is even less adaptable because you need to either use their adapter ring ($45 I think) or go with their 12v sender. The Poly tank also needs their fuel inlet tube for $25 or so and an air vent rigged to the top of the tank.

I found a good used tank that had already been cleaned and coated. The sealer 'Red Coat' is OK with Ethanol fuels.

One last tip, if you deal with the OEM inlet tube as suggested and you replace the lead washer, I would liberally lubricate the threads on the filler pipe before scr*w*ng it onto the tank. I did not do this, and was lucky the threads drew down tight, but in retrospect, it would have been lots easier with lubricant on the threads.

If you are on the East Coast, I can give you recommendations and contact info for a good radiator shop and place to get the tank coated in the south central Penna area.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3810