Topic: Various fuse sizes

37 Coupe    -- 09-30-2011 @ 6:53 AM
  Anybody know of a source for finding correct fuse sizes? I have looked through parts books,owners manuals and the Early V8 Club restoration books,nothing. I know the main lighting circuit is 20 amp,but anybody know correct amp and length of 1937 Ford radio fuse? How about the correct fuse for 1949-1950 Ford column mounted turn signal switch,the SXTS-B one? Thanks for any help.

supereal    -- 09-30-2011 @ 3:46 PM
  We stopped using fuses in favor of push button reset breakers set in a panel where the old "buzzer" breaker one sat. If you have inline fuse holders, usually only the correct fuse will fit. We calculate the size of the breaker or fuse by deteriming the power required, in watts, then converting that amount into the current required. Power (in watts) equals current time voltage. Thus, if the headlighta are 50 watts each, the current demand is 16.67 amps total. It isn't always possible to determine the wattage, but it is essential in determining the fuse size. A good average fuse size for old cars is 15 or 20 amps, with clocks and radios a bit less. Clocks usually have very short fuses, radios a bit larger. Purely resistive loads require smaller fuses than those for reactive loads, such as heater motors. Start with smaller fuses, and if they don't hold, move up to the next size, assuming your radio, clock, etc, isn't faulty, producing a short. When you find a fuse that holds, you are right.

TomO    -- 10-03-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  The fuse size for the 1937 radio would be in the schematic for the radio. This is true for all accessory radios in the years 1932-1953.

If the 49-50 turn signals were an approved accessory, you would find the fuse size in the wiring diagram for the turn signals and the parts catalog. The parts catalog shows it as a 15 amp glass fuse.

Tom

37 Coupe    -- 10-03-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  Thank You Super and TomO thanks for info on turn signal but I have looked at schematic for 37 radio in restoration book untill blurry,just shows fuse and probably Philco part # 7227. Thanks again.

TomO    -- 10-05-2011 @ 7:16 AM
  I have been using an AGC 20 fuse for my radio. It is a fast blow, glass fuse and will protect your radio.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3809