Topic: New owner of a 39 Ford

LanceD    -- 09-28-2011 @ 5:26 PM
  My name is Lance and I am both a new member here and a new owner of a really great old Ford. Now I'm not sure exactly what code the car is, it's in original condition and since it's been in the family since it was bought new it and was cared for it only required minor restoration work. It's a 39' deluxe, with 2 doors and 2 rows of seats and of course the flat head V8. I originally thought it was just called a Ford V8 Deluxe, but the list of cars I saw when I was adding it to my members section showed me that I'm a bit onfused as to what the car was actually called. So a couple questions here for the more knowledgable members.

First off, how do I more precisely identify the car?

Secind, I need to learn more about how to properly maintain the car. It runs like a top and I would like to keep that going. Are there service manuals available or some documentation to assist me?

Any help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!

40guy    -- 09-28-2011 @ 6:32 PM
  First of all, welcome to the Early Ford V-8 Club forum. I think you'll enjoy this forum and learn a lot since there many experienced brains to pick here. Also, congratulations on the 39' coming into your stable. Now, to your questions. You will get other responses no doubt, but generally the car is referred to as a 1939 Ford Deluxe 2 door sedan { I call 'em coaches } officially known as 91A-70B.

tierod    -- 09-28-2011 @ 8:40 PM
  GO TO THE ONLINE CLUB STORE AND CONSIDER BUYING THE 1938-1939 BOOK. PROVIDES A WEALTH OF GOOD INFO.

TomO    -- 09-29-2011 @ 10:42 AM
  Lance,

Your car is a Tudor sedan and all of us would appreciate seeing a picture of it.

Tom

LanceD    -- 10-01-2011 @ 10:53 AM
  Thanks for the replies guys. I have spent today tracking down a 6v battery since the one in it was very dead and wouldn't take a charge. I'll have it running today and I'll get some pictures up once I get the wife to use her good camera.

About the Ford books offered here, I asked about them and they told me they were for restorations and wouldn't really help me since I need a service manual.

I know if have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends.

LanceD    -- 10-01-2011 @ 11:30 AM
  Okay car is out, fluids are good new battery had no trouble cranking the motor and after some fresh fuel and a little choke it started right up. I'll try and post a cellphone pc right now with better ones to come later.

I know if have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends.

fomocoloco    -- 10-01-2011 @ 12:53 PM
  your new ford looks like a real cream puff. do yourself and your car a favor and buy the 38-39 ford book. it will make you an near expert on fords of those years. dosent your ford deserve it?

weezer

40guy    -- 10-01-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  LanceD: Very nice ride indeed. I have a 1937-1940 book of "service bulletins" that contains a lot of useful info. I just can't remember where I got it though. Maybe one of the old Ford parts vendors. A 1928-1948 chassis parts book is also nice to have { a.k.a. the "green bible" } these are readily available and all good books.

LanceD    -- 10-01-2011 @ 3:56 PM
  I'll look into the books you guys mentioned thanks for the info.

On another note I took it out for a drive today and man this car is great. One problem though, apparently my grandfather had put too much coolant in it and I developed a leak in the petcock that I believe feeds the heater. There is a hole in the side of out that is shooting a stream of coolant out towards the firewall (see attached picture). Took the radiator cap off and it got home fine. Can anyone shed some light on why this thing is shouting out fluids and what I can do about it?

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

This message was edited by LanceD on 10-2-11 @ 8:08 AM

trjford8    -- 10-02-2011 @ 8:38 AM
  Lance, the 1937-1940 Service Bulletin books can be purchased from most of the vendors who sell V-8 parts. Check the vendors section on the front page of this site and call one of them. As others have mentioned you should also purchase the V-8 Club's 38-39 book. Not only is it a restoration guide , but it will give you the history of the 38-39 Ford cars.
Your water leak may be a bad hose or fitting.If the car has sat for a long time it may need new hoses, etc. Also check to make sure hat the hose clamps are tight. Hoses tend to shrink a little with age and the clamps loosen up.

alanwoodieman    -- 10-02-2011 @ 9:33 AM
  looks to me that the fitting has rusted thru. I be leive that I possible see a small hole near the base

LanceD    -- 10-02-2011 @ 3:50 PM
  The petcock for thee heater is rusted terribly and was the issue. Check out the picture to see the remains of it after extraction.

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3801