Topic: '36 steering gear box

johnpoly    -- 09-28-2011 @ 3:23 PM
  I drove my '36 two days ago and the steering felt stiff.
I unscr*w*d the plug on the top of the steering box and it appeared to be empty. I bought Valvoline 85/140 gear oil and filled the cavity. This morning all of the gear oil was on my garage floor. What have I done wrong, or what should I be looking for? Replies appreciated. John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-28-2011 @ 5:31 PM
  What you might check is the pitman arm,
grab it with a pair of gloves on, see if it rocks,back and forth looking for play in the bushing,and shaft
you could rebuild the steering box. all depending how much play you have and if you still can adjust it, so
it has the correct amount of play.and if it steers OK.
also you can use a lube like modern day CV front axle grease. moves around and will lube the steering box with out leaking,other might disagree ,
any weight oil will leak out if there is any amount of play,
the CV JOINT grease is cheap and can be bought any any auto parts store,and is fluid enough so the gears stay lubed,
if you decide to rebuild it try getting new AMERICAN MADE PARTS. they are out there, will most likely be a better rebuild then the Asian import parts,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

Dolman    -- 09-28-2011 @ 5:33 PM
  Welcome to the club. At least it wasn't the sticky 250 wt. I used. It took only a week for that stiff goo to completely empty the box.

G Tosel    -- 09-29-2011 @ 6:38 AM
  Heavy oil or grease may be the only alternative, since in order to take up the wear against the shaft seal requires new needle bearings (36 Ford only) and they are very scarce, if available at all.

wmsteed    -- 10-01-2011 @ 8:07 AM
  Motor Honey oil additive,ie; "STP" works great in leaking steering gears, it generally will not leak out and it will lubricate everything very well.
To use the STP type of oil it is best to sit it out in the sun for awhile to warm it up so it's more fluid. Use a small funnel inserted into the fill hole and slowly pore the STP in, pausing to let air escape.
Don't over fill the steering gear box, the oil should be below the fill opening..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

36flathead    -- 11-05-2011 @ 6:12 PM
  If the leak isn't from the pitman arm , its most likely from the brass tube that is above the light. check light switch to see if it is full of oil.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-06-2011 @ 10:46 AM
  true 36 boxes have not bushings, just needle bearings. Check the light connection box, if it has no oil in it then you need to replace the seal in the box pitman arm

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3800