Topic: battery chat

oldford2    -- 09-28-2011 @ 2:43 PM
  Well, I can't get over the previous post on the correct battery for EFV8 judging. Well, you can throw in a Walmart battery and only lose 7 points!! Now some guys are spending hundreds of dollars to get the "correct battery" and still not getting it. I guess that's why I am in the Rouge division. Drive them, have fun and don't worry about the "points".
John

supereal    -- 09-28-2011 @ 3:07 PM
  John: That is why so many of us are non-purists. Henry Ford couldn't give a _______ (fill in your expletive) as long as long as the cars sold.

ford38v8    -- 09-28-2011 @ 3:23 PM
  john, where do you draw the line? There is a line for all of us that we won't cross. For me, I have a leather steering wheel cover. You may look down and sneer at that. My car doesn't qualify for Rouge, nor will it ever be point judged. I do, however, enjoy making it as correct as possible, just for me. One fine day, I might look at my leather steering wheel cover and say "this is the day". What's in your closet?

Alan

oldford2    -- 09-28-2011 @ 4:01 PM
  Alan, Well, I am somewhat of an anachronism, living in the past. I have no line. Just really enjoy driving our 46 fordor 3 or 4 thousand miles a year, and rebuilding these old flatheads. I enjoy seeing the modified flatheads as well as the stocks. So, to answer your question, I think sometimes folks carry authenticity a little too far. But, that's O K if they are having fun. Now, after saying that folks should do whatever makes them have fun, it still makes me sad to rush over to a beautiful Ford at a show or cruise-in and see an overhead in it. John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 9-28-11 @ 4:10 PM

37 Coupe    -- 09-28-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  I'll tell you what makes me sad or mad really is reference to one of those coast to coast fiberglass 37 3 window coupes being referred to as a 1937 Ford. Saw this last week on Barrett Jackson, they were all gaga about one of these and the modifiactions to get it to look that way.

Stroker    -- 09-28-2011 @ 4:23 PM
  oldford2:

My sentiments, exactly.

Dolman    -- 09-28-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  I don't qualify for Rouge either because I have an oil pressure gauge instead of a fuel gauge and every bolt and screw that I had to extract with crud loosener, heat, vice grips, jack hammer and 2 pints of IPA has been replaced with stainless steel. Figure only the receptacle side will be rusted when one of my sons inherits. But until then, the old pickup is a hoot to drive.

This message was edited by Dolman on 9-28-11 @ 5:28 PM

40guy    -- 09-28-2011 @ 6:43 PM
  oldford2: I think you really summed it up in your second post. HAVE FUN! Some people have fun hauling around "trailer queens" { that's me }; some have fun touring others have fun with slight modifications; whatever. What may seem crazy to one may be fun to the other and vice versa.

BERTHA    -- 09-29-2011 @ 7:25 AM
  "I don't qualify for Rouge either because I have an oil pressure gauge instead of a fuel gauge"

Have the Rouge class rules changed?

We were at the Eastern meet in 2006 and passed all three categories with several items that were not OEM. I thought there was a % restriction only.

I am a stickler for not changing things but I show it the way we got it, Gram personalized it and that's the way it will stay.

Sorry purists.

Bob

"it's only original once""

This message was edited by BERTHA on 9-29-11 @ 7:26 AM

46fordnut    -- 09-30-2011 @ 6:07 AM
  wow..that is one clean ford...someday mine might get close but. she is just fine as she is ....unrestored and i mean never. but it is fun to drive.she may not be perfect or eye candy to some people but she is what she is. i had one person ask me if it was a fiber glass kit car. you tell me.....i like to see them as they are not power by brand x or cut up. only thing not to factory is tube shocks.

100 horse running wild

BERTHA    -- 10-01-2011 @ 6:39 AM
  46fordnut,

Your 46 would be a perfect Rouge entry, it's not how "good they look".. but how original they are. My first old Ford was a 47 Tu-door, when I was in the service, your's brings that time back.

"Bertha" has her share of scratches and dents, but will never be restored!!
Not by me anyhow. Been in the family since new....to many memories!!

Bob

This message was edited by BERTHA on 10-1-11 @ 6:52 AM

Cecil/WV    -- 10-01-2011 @ 11:36 AM
  When I first started taking my Ford to the meets, it was all Rouge, but the seat was so bad that I put the correct covers on and replaced the mats so it was decent for the wife and I to ride in, Next, coming back from St George, I blew a piston and had to rebuild the engine, so now it is only a Rouge on the exterior. I have flip flopped for a long time about restoring to Concourse status, which I think is the only way to do this car, if it is done, but right now my mind is on leaving the exterior as original for others to see how Henry built it, even though it is very rusty. It drives and rides as good as any concourse car

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

BERTHA    -- 10-01-2011 @ 4:24 PM
  Cecil,

Were you at the Eastern Nat. Meet Batavia NY 2006?
Looks like it, except for tires and front bumper bar.

Love it when we see the unrestored cars at the shows. Most of the time there's no real class for us.

Bob

BERTHA    -- 10-01-2011 @ 4:34 PM
  Here's a pic of <<"Bertha">> Fall 1956, with the real Bertha, my DW's Maternal Grandmother...

ford38v8    -- 10-01-2011 @ 4:35 PM
  "It drives and rides as good as any concourse car"

Cecil, You have it backwards.
"Any Concourse Car" is good enough to win awards. It takes more than mere money to set up a car to drive and ride as nice as a "Daily Driver".

This observation from a Concourse Judge:
Too many of our beautifully restored cars are known affectionately as "Trailer Queens", meaning that they are trailored to a Meet, offloaded to go through Operational Check, spend the night back on the trailor again until the morning of the Concourse, then immediately back onto the trailor again. Nobody ever sees these phantoms on the road.

This is neither the spirit of what our Club is about, nor does it reflect fairly the value of the award earned. Your car, having fairly won a highly respected Rouge Aaward in all three categories, can now proudly retire to another respected category, the "Touring" division. This is what separates the pretty faces from the inner beauty of a Driver. It takes a survivor to rack up "that extra mile" that a Concourse car is just not ready for.

Alan

Cecil/WV    -- 10-01-2011 @ 5:05 PM
  Yes, I was at Batavia and that is a picture of my car. I have a total of 10 Rouge Medallions (that was my third)and have driven it to every meet and my wife has been right there with me. It was in Batavia that Hemmings Classic Cars Mag got the pics for the story they did in Oct of that year in their Drivable Dream series. I put the wide whites and grille guard on in 2010. The grille guard matches the one on the matching Ford that now belongs to my son.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

This message was edited by Cecil/WV on 10-1-11 @ 5:08 PM

Cecil/WV    -- 10-01-2011 @ 5:11 PM
  Here's a pic of the pair.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

46fordnut    -- 10-01-2011 @ 8:18 PM
  if you look at mine really well, it has issues a lot worse then yours.i don't see the rust you say mine has been an outside car its whole life in NJ. needs tlc in and out. is very fun to drive thou:-) just a seat cover still has all the same inside it was born with and engine. old pics from last year .now has wipers that work and yes vaccum . i use a 6v fork lift battery in mine from napa.

100 horse running wild

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 10-1-11 @ 8:26 PM

Cecil/WV    -- 10-02-2011 @ 4:27 AM
  I agree that yours is worse than mine inside. Mine sat in a garage from 1972 til 1998. The interior is pretty good, the only hole is in the headliner where a mouse sat on the left sun visor and chewed a small hole to get in to make a nest, plus I did redo the seats, The exterior is what looks the worst, having coons and squirrels running all over it while in the garage, along with moisture. It's pretty rusty, but being bronze in color, the rust doesn't show as bad.

Shiny side up! Cecil/WV

46fordnut    -- 10-02-2011 @ 5:52 AM
  yes..but even with all that is needed she still is a head turner.only 2 things don't work the clock and the gas gauge.

100 horse running wild

LanceD    -- 10-02-2011 @ 8:03 AM
  My 39 De Luxe is very close to original but it just doesn't make sense for it to be 100% since it gets driven a lot. The battery is a cost effective, high capacity battery intended for a tractor. The original water temp gauge is there but doesn't work so an aftermarket gauge is hidden down under the dash. Plus some other little things here and there that add up to making making the car very drivable. It wouldn't do will under scrutiny of a judge but it's beautiful and driven far and often. There is even a booster seat buckled in the back so my young son can come on drives in our "cool black car"

-I know I have an old car, that's where my knowledge ends, Lance

This message was edited by LanceD on 10-2-11 @ 8:07 AM

BERTHA    -- 10-02-2011 @ 9:14 AM
  "Here's a pic of the pair."

Twins'....now that's really nice.

WE NEED A ROUGE THREAD!!

BOB

LanceD    -- 10-02-2011 @ 4:16 PM
  *Disclaimer* Stupid question coming.

What is Rouge?

TomO    -- 10-03-2011 @ 7:38 AM
  Ford built his manufacturing complex on the Rouge River. The V-8 Club named the award for original cars for that factory.

Tom

joe b    -- 10-04-2011 @ 8:27 AM
  I have always had a dream that I had a time machine and could go back and buy a Ford brand new. Then come back to the present, enter it for judging, and see how many items are "wrong". Bet it would be a lot of fun.

40guy    -- 10-04-2011 @ 8:45 AM
  You bet! I heard a guy say one time, if these cars could talk, we'ed all be dumbfounded.

LanceD    -- 10-04-2011 @ 11:02 AM
  My car would have awesome stories of my great great uncle running moonshine with it. Much more interesting then discussing original specifications with it lol.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3799