Topic: 94 float level

parrish    -- 09-26-2011 @ 9:01 AM
  A recently acquired and now rebuilt 94 is flooding back out the fuel inlet, so I suspected the float level was incorrect. It measured good. I even swapped the float from a properly operating 94 and problem remained. The fuel line seems to seat nice and tight. So, I looked at the fuel inlet needle and seat and the seat does not have the 2 holes (relief?) at the inside bottom that my other 94s have. Is that part of the problem? Thanks folks...

supereal    -- 09-26-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  When you say that fuel is "flooding back out of the fuel inlet", do you mean around the fuel line fitting where it connects to the carb? If so, it is likely that the ferrule on the fuel line is not sealing, or the inlet to the carb body from the fuel line is damaged, either the threads, or the seat where the ferrule seals. Many ferrules have been reused enough to cause them to lose their shape and/or the fuel line itself has become deformed where the ferrule is placed because of overtightening.

parrish    -- 09-26-2011 @ 1:41 PM
  Yes, around the fuel line fitting. I did check the ferrule and actually put the Chandler 94 back on the same fuel line fitting with no leaks. So, either the ferrule and Chandler seat have conformed or ??? I could take the Chandler seat out and put it in the rebuilt, but I might introduce a Chandler problem that I don't need. I'll give it another whirl today...what is the purpose of the 2 holes inside the Chandler seat (that the rebuilt is lacking)? Thanks for the help!

supereal    -- 09-26-2011 @ 3:28 PM
  Can't help you on that one. The fitting that accepts the fuel line from the pump has only one hole, in the middle, that I know of. If the needle seat has holes, I would suspect it is for a non-standard needle. When ever you encounter a forced leak, be sure that the fuel pressure to the carb doesn't exceed 3 PSI. Most of the carbs we see at our shop that have leak problems have been damaged by heavy handed treatment. The pot metal of carbs is easily damaged, and overtightening parts, particularly with ring gaskets, is almost sure to produce a leak. We like to solder the ferrules to be sure they seal to the line.

parrish    -- 09-26-2011 @ 6:47 PM
  Super: I've never gone wrong following your advice. So I dug through a box of carb parts and found a correct ferrule and fitting and made a new fuel line for the rebuilt 94. What do you know, no leaks!
I then put the original Chandler back on with the original fuel line and...you guessed it,no leaks. So, apparently the old ferrule,down through the years, had mated with the Chandler fuel inlet enough to prevent close tolerance with the rebuilt inlet. 'Nuff said, the rebuilt purrs like a kitten. Thanks!

supereal    -- 09-27-2011 @ 9:37 AM
  You are welcome. When dealing with vehicles decades old, most problems are the result of too many "shade tree" repairs when they were just "old cars". Still, it is a great hobby, and much of the "fun" is chasing and fixing the glitches.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3794