Topic: Can't start my engine

miwi    -- 09-26-2011 @ 3:54 AM
  Hi,

I couldn't find a better topic title. Let me discribe the problem.
I had installed a french block in my F1. I had convert everything that is necessary from 6V to 12V. I had crank the engine with the 12V starter a few times with out problems. Before I wanted to start the engine I tried to crank it again the starter. I had added water, install the fuel line and the rest of the eletrical users. Water & Oil level is ok. I wanted to start the engine, but the engine turns a bit (your hear that the starter engages), stops, turns, etc.. At first I forgot the ground on the governor, I add the ground and again it turns, stops etc.
I had checked the battery and I measeured appr. 14V, which means it is charged.
Before I continue, does anybody has an idea whats wrong?

Thanks for your help

Michael

TomO    -- 09-26-2011 @ 7:17 AM
  If all that was changed from when you were able to crank the engine to the current situation, I would look into a leaking head gasket.

A no load voltage reading on a battery does not give a good indication of the state of charge. Measure the voltage when the starter is engaged.

Try turning the engine over by hand. Try using the starter without the plugs.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-26-2011 @ 10:13 AM
  Pull the spark plugs and try the starter. If the engine is "hydrolocked" (water in a cylinder) you will see it come out of the affected cylinder. Hydrolock can be due to a leaking head gasket, or a cracked block or head. Water doesn't compress. As it occured after the water was installed, I'd guess that is where the problem started (no pun). TomO and I are on the same page on this one. The only reliable ways to check a battery is by hydrometer, or a tester with a variable load. You can get some kind of an idea of the charge by putting the headlights on for a few minutes to remove the "surface charge. In your case, I don't think the battery is at fault. I wouldn't keep trying to crank the engine until you know there is no hydrolock, or piston and rod damage is likely.

miwi    -- 09-26-2011 @ 11:42 PM
  Thanks for the hints. I'll keep you informed

Michael

shogun1940    -- 09-29-2011 @ 7:27 AM
  I have a french flathead, did you build it or did you send it out??

miwi    -- 09-29-2011 @ 11:30 PM
  @TomO, @supereal,

I did what you recommended, no water comes out of spark plug holes. But I found water leaking through the center stud. I had removed the cylinder head checked the gasket and the cylinder bores. I could see a few drops, but I think that comes aout of head during disassembly.

@shotgun1940
I bought one of complete engine military engines that were sold here in Germany.

Michael

TomO    -- 09-30-2011 @ 8:39 AM
  Michael, did you try turning the engine over by hand?

If you can turn the engine over by hand, I would try to turn it over with the ignition switch off. You may have a timing problem.

If it still acts the same, I would have the starter checked. The bushings could be worn, causing it to fail under load.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3793