Topic: '39 BUMPER GUARDS

kubes40    -- 09-25-2011 @ 6:48 PM
  Anyone with personal experience in regard to Drakes bumper guards for a 39? Do they fit correctly against an authentic bumper bar? Do they appear as a GOOD reproduction? Will they pass the scrutiny of a worthy judge?
I ask only as I know for fact the '40 bumper guards he makes are poop. They don't fit the contour of an original bumper.
If I must replate my authentic 39 guards, I certainly will. However, if he managed to do the 39 guards nicely, I may go the repop route.
What say ye guys?

Thanks,
Mike

37 Coupe    -- 09-26-2011 @ 6:55 AM
  This was an issue a few years ago when I was working on a 39 Ford but I do not know if it has been corrected. I would go with finding and replating good originals. I remember seeing this at Dearborn at last big meet there not one but two cars at least that had chrome ground off around contour with surface rust starting. I asked about this and was told they had to grind to fit original bumper and didn't want to replate but looking for good originals to invest in. Good original ones even cores were like hens teeth when I was looking for them, but on Ebay now and then.

supereal    -- 09-26-2011 @ 10:55 AM
  I needed to replace both rear bumper guards and the face bar after my '47 was rear ended a couple of years ago. I tried Drake but, of course, they weren't in stock. After a long search, I found the Bumper Boyz in L.A. The guards and bumper were first class, with excellent plating. No cores were needed, and the price was right. The phone number I have is 323/587-8976. My records show we paid $80 apiece for the guards. No one else had them. I'd certainly use them again.

kubes40    -- 09-26-2011 @ 11:18 AM
  37coupe,
Thanks much. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
I don't mind spending the money to replate my original guards. That's what I've always done in the past and apparently what I must continue to do.
Kind regards,
Mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3792