Topic: 1946 Super Deluxe Fordor Sedan what should I do?

brykelley    -- 09-23-2011 @ 9:39 AM
  I recently picked up a very complete and original 1946 Super Deluxe Fordor Sedan. This car has been parked in a barn for what looks to be 35-40 years. The body is in good shape with little or no rust. Once I got into this vehicle I realized that the engine was seized up. I removed the Flathead to see what had caused it. Once I had the heads and oil pan off I found a melted piston and bent rod. I'm guessing this is why the car was originally parked. The good news is there doesn't appear to be cylinder wall damage (that I can see) My dilemma with this car is whether or not to repair this engine, install another flathead or go the resto-mod route. If there is value in a complete clean Fordor, I'd hate to destroy a car in this condition. On the other hand I am an automotive shop owner who has the resources to build a very fun sedan. You guys are the experts what do you think original or late model running gear?

TomO    -- 09-23-2011 @ 10:00 AM
  I would go for the original running gear. There is no nicer sound than a good running flathead V-8 and they are fun to drive.

Any modifications will make the car harder to service, harder to diagnose problems and more expensive to repair.

Value of a car depends on what a buyer will pay when you go to sell it. If there is a more demand for restro-rods when you have your car on the market, it will sell for more.

Cost wise, the retail value of a rebuilt motor is around $3,000. By the time that you modify the car to accept a late model engine and other drive train modifications, you will probably have more into the car than by leaving it stock.

Tom

brykelley    -- 09-23-2011 @ 10:32 AM
  Tom,

My personal preference would be the resto-mod. I fully understand the cost difference. I've built some mustangs both early and late but I've always had a thing for the wide fat fenders. It probably dates back to my high school 1951 F-1 that I had. I’m a diehard Ford guy but this is my first pre-1950’s ride. I'm just trying to gauge if I should reassemble this car back to original, since it is complete. The only missing component was an ignition coil. Is it tough to find a clean non-rusted out car like this? I feel like I may be committing a mortal sin in upgrading this chassis.

Bryan

supereal    -- 09-23-2011 @ 11:15 AM
  Your choice may boil down to why the engine shucked a piston and rod, and whether there was collateral damage, making rebuilding possible. A melted piston in a flathead is rather rare, but if the cylinder isn't scored, that would be even more rare. Before making a decision, I'd offer it "as-is" to gauge interest. Any vehicle stored for 35-40 years is going to need lots more than an engine. As the fordor has less interest than most other models of that year, you can quickly sink more money into it than would bring at a sale. This I know from experience.

TomO    -- 09-23-2011 @ 1:52 PM
  Bryan,

Lately original cars have been going up in value. It is very difficult to find an original car in good shape. If you could post some photos of the interior and exterior of the car, someone can tell you if it is worth saving as an original.

Tom

brykelley    -- 09-23-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  I'll try to get some photos up in the next few days. Thank you for the help.

Bryan

Stroker    -- 09-23-2011 @ 2:50 PM
  Bryan:

As one who grew up in an era where modifying a car was what separated the dorks from the motorheads, I recall in 1956 trying to buy a cherry 39 Deluxe coupe from my high school english teacher.

I was rebuffed, because I admitted to her that I envisioned stuffing a 265 SB in it. She sold it to one of her top "dork" students, who promptly stuffed it into the back of a Fruehauf in the days before DOT bars might have mitigated the resulting total destruction.

In 1956, that car was far more common; hence much less valuable than your 46 Sedan is today. After all these years, in retrospect, I would say that she meant to do the right thing. They are only original once.

If you like social interaction, this group has a lot to offer to those who keep to the "As Henry Built It" mantra. If you want to build it to your vision, I'm sure you will find others
who will admire your efforts.

As for resale value, I've never seen anyone make out on a custom unless they are building to to order for someone who has no creative talent, but lots of discretionary funds.

This message was edited by Stroker on 9-23-11 @ 3:05 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-23-2011 @ 5:02 PM
  since you know cars,
do a inspection of the car of what it needs and what it does not need,
this way you will get a idea of what it will cost to get it back on the road,
you can find a good used engine if you look for it,
putting a lot of money in a fordor is up to the owner,
you could get it running and sell it and buy a resto rod that was left sitting,there are a lot of projects out there,with people with the same ideas,
just check e-bay, there are many projects,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3787