Topic: fuel system

tip    -- 09-22-2011 @ 11:11 AM
  Hi V8'ers Got a couple questions. I am using an eletric fuel pump at the tank to charge the carb
only and a mechanical pump to feed the engine.
I have a stromberg 97 carb with the new type ball
float valve and a pressure guage in the fuel line.
Can a mechanical pump put out 6 lbs. and can the
carb handle that pressure or should I suspect the
pressure gauge being faulty. Also, what should the
fuel level measure from the top of the bowl.
Appreciate any help. thanks TIP

supereal    -- 09-22-2011 @ 11:21 AM
  Fuel pressure at the carb inlet shouldn't exceed three pounds, or it is likely the float will be swamped. If you are sure that your pump is producing six pounds, you will need a regulator if you use it for more than refilling the carb. Otherwise just keep the one you have, and run it with a spring loaded toggle switch so you don't accidently leave it on. The mechanical pump output should be correct. As for the float setting in the carb, I am attaching a picture and dimensions of the gauge I've used for more than 50 years. Turn the top of the carb over, and set the gauge on the flat edge. Bend the float tab until the gauge notch slips over the float without moving it.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-22-11 @ 11:23 AM

ford38v8    -- 09-22-2011 @ 5:55 PM
  Tip, You asked about a mechanical pump, so I assume you mean the stock Ford pump. Lately there have been reports that new springs in rebuild kits may be stronger than original, and put out more pressure than the carb can handle. A change of springs back to the old one should do the trick.

Supereal's gauge diagram is intended for the Ford Holley carburetor, not the Stromberg. I don't have any info on the Stromberg, sorry.

Alan

supereal    -- 09-22-2011 @ 7:07 PM
  Caught me, Alan. I forgot it was a Stromberg where the float is hinged to the body. To check or set the fuel level in the bowl, remove the top and measure the distance from the fuel to the top of the bowl. It must measure 15/32 to 1/2 inch when filled. The gauge is good for the later carbs, and is foolproof. As an aside, we just got a catalog with "new improved" 97's. About five hundred bucks. Lots of money for an obsolete unit, IMO.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3785