Topic: New Member here

jeffsang    -- 09-21-2011 @ 6:12 PM
  Hello

I just joined your club on the advice of another member I met at the Glenmoor Gathering last weekend. I have hopes of finding a nice original 46-48 coupe, thought joining might help me in my search. Owned a 48 Super Deluxe years ago and would like to get back into another.

Jeff
Brookfield, Ohio

ford38v8    -- 09-21-2011 @ 9:22 PM
  Jeff, I can direct you to one of the V8 Club's most active Regional Groups, where you will meet a number of great V8ers , and have an excellent chance of finding your car.

The link below is to the Northern Ohio Regional Group. Their monthly meeting is Oct. 21, at 7PM, in Stow, Ohio, 50 miles east of you.

Welcome to the Club!
http://norgv8club.org/norg/index.php/norg-v8-club-calendar/event/ZG1hdWo5dWo0ZzRzanRnc3ZqNGdmbGplazhfMjAxMTEwMjFUMjMwMDAwWiB3ZWJtYXN0ZXJAbm9yZ3Y4Y2x1Yi5vcmc/1?start=1319248800&end=1319259600

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-21-11 @ 9:23 PM

trjford8    -- 09-22-2011 @ 7:46 AM
  Jeff you can post an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds on this site. You can also post an ad in the V-8 Times. If you just joined the club you will soon be getting your first issue of the magazine. Perhaps you may get lucky and there will be one for sale in the next Times.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 9-22-11 @ 7:48 AM

JM    -- 09-22-2011 @ 5:14 PM
  Jeff, You should think about placing an ad here, on the Fordbarn, in the V8 Times, and Hemmings Motor News. Also, keep an eye on ebay but be careful there. If you find something you want to bid on, go look it over or pay a professional appraiser to go and look it over. Good luck!

JM

gendrone    -- 09-22-2011 @ 6:35 PM
  Jeff: Congratulations on your new membership in this
great organization. I have 2 1947 Fords that might be for salea Super Deluxe Coupe and a Convertible.
Both of these are completely original and in most excellent condition. What price range are you in. I can tell you very quickly if we may have some common ground.

Ernie Gendron
Nashville Tn.

jeffsang    -- 09-23-2011 @ 6:23 AM
  Ernie
I would like to find something under $20K if possible, I don't expect to get a convertible for that kind of money, and I also dont need a 400 point show car, it just depends on the car that will dictate what I will spend. I looked at 3 coupes within 2hrs of me and drove all three, so Iam getting more familiar with them. Prices are all in the mid teens and have been for sale all summer.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

gendrone    -- 09-23-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  Jeff, I have learned a few things about classic cars.

1. Rebuilding a car is a long and expensive
process.
2. Good cars are hard to find.
3. You can buy a very nice car a lot cheaper
than you can build one.
4. Check everything twice. Many people think that
they have a great but it is really not.
5. If a car is a Dearborn award winner tha is
a huge plus.

Jeff, I hope that my opinions will be taken only as opinions. I am sure that many members may disagree on any or all of them

Ernie

Henryat1140    -- 09-23-2011 @ 11:30 AM
  Lead on a 46 Convertible:

You might try Barry Smith (the owner) at Smith Transport, Roaring Spring PA. Last year I looked at a 46 Convertible he had for sale. It was a driver quality car - complete, and running when parked about ten years ago. Trim was all there, paint was a low quality Earl Scheib style, not great but usable and decent gloss.. Interior was also usable as was the top.

He wanted $15,000 for it which I felt was a good/excellent price. I don't know if it has been sold in the meanwhile, but you could always call and check.

If it is still available, and you would like to see some pictures, I have a few taken last year.

When you call there you may get put on to his assistant - can't remember her name, but she is sharp.

Happy Hunting

jeffsang    -- 09-23-2011 @ 11:51 AM
  Thanks for the advice, I agree on those topics, I don't care to get involved in a major restoration. So Ernie, if we have any common ground on your coupe email me at jeffsang@roadrunner.com

Thanks
Jeff

TomO    -- 09-23-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  Jeff, I would have a someone who is familiar with these cars look over any prospective purchase. They can point out flaws that you may not see and give you an idea of the repair cost. You can then make the decision about buying the car.

Everyone that I know, started out to buy a nice driver and then after they own it for a while, they decide to upgrade it. These upgrades can range from just doing minor repairs or cosmetic improvements and then deciding to do a full restoration. You will have a head start if you know the warts before you buy.

Tom

tbloss    -- 09-23-2011 @ 3:43 PM
  Jeffsang: There are 2 46 cps and a 47 with 46 trim for sale on the clubs Cars For Sale web site. All appear to be very nice cars, so you might want to take as look.

Also as usual Tom O's post is right on. Welcome to the club and good hunting...Tom

Tblossom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3784