Topic: 36 firewall compatablity

bgalla    -- 09-19-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  I'm looking for a original firewall for my '36 cabriolet. Which years are possible replacements? I have seen photos of a '33 which looks almost the same. thanks Bruce

supereal    -- 09-19-2011 @ 2:51 PM
  If you are looking for an "original" (factory) firewall, that would be a tough job. The street rod boys love the 33-34 Fords, and I believe there may be blank firewalls out there. I've seen them, but can't cite a source.

drkbp    -- 09-19-2011 @ 5:38 PM
  1935 Cabriolet. '35 and '36 Convertible sedan may be the same also. They all have the firewall supports on them. If you are looking for only the firewall itself, I don't know why any '35/'36 wouldn't work.

Ken in Texas

wmsteed    -- 09-21-2011 @ 8:46 AM
  Since the '33-34 cars are completely different than the '35-36, I doubt very much that they would work.
The EFV8 '35-36 Book, pages 8 & 9, states that there are many differences between the '35-36 firewalls/cowls, namely the brackets for the attachment of the radiator support rods and stiffener stampings. However, a notation in section 5, page 107, states that the '35 style of radiator support brackets have been found throughout the '36 line on some body styles.
The big question is; if you are building a show quality car, in lieu of just a driver, then you will need a '36 firewall.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 09-21-2011 @ 9:13 AM
  I really find it to be a very interesting subject regarding the body parts that people are looking for now to repair the early Ford V8's.. Several years ago none of us would have given any thought to saving the firewall/cowl area from a body we were parting out.
About 30 years ago while traveling through the center of Nevada on highway 93 I happened to notice an old car sitting in a gully. I decided to investigate the car. Upon hiking into the gully I found that the car was what was left of a '35-36 Ford. Nothing mechanical was there, just a complete body that had probably been sitting in the dry high desert for over twenty years.
I travel through the area at least three times a year between California and Idaho, during my travels I have watched the body slowly disappear, first the top, then a quarter panel, then the body tail section. The cowl/firewall was the last to go, just the floor pan and frame is sitting there now.
It would have been very interesting to have a time lapse camera trained on the car, recording the "metal vultures" as they slowly dissected the body.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3775