Topic: Spark plugs

Pair of 40's    -- 09-19-2011 @ 12:19 PM
  I have been using autolite 216 plugs in my 50 ford flat head. Any better plug available?
Thanks

oldford2    -- 09-19-2011 @ 1:55 PM
  Does your engine use much oil? Are your plugs fouling? You will get a lot of opinions but if the 216's are working stick with them. My 59 A-B burns/leaks less than a quart in 1000 miles. Plus I have a top oiler and put MMO in my gas so I use Champion H-12 which is a little higher heat range and plugs stay straw colored.I do have 2 cylinders that the plugs soot up a little but what do you expect after 44,000 miles?
John

This message was edited by oldford2 on 9-19-11 @ 1:59 PM

supereal    -- 09-19-2011 @ 2:47 PM
  I hate plow old ground, but I use Champion RJ14YC plugs instead of the H-10's. They have a longer snout and tend to burn off any oil, rich fuel, etc.

Stroker    -- 09-19-2011 @ 3:07 PM
  Super:

Since we get "fresh blood" into the Forum daily, I believe we are forced to "plow old ground".

If more people would use the user-friendly search tool, it would help some of us from having to repeat ourselves, but that probably isn't going to happen.

You are, (I believe) the most diligent (in terms of participation) of our great group of responders. Occasionally, Jerry Windle (EV8 Times Editor) will pull some of our responses for publication in the Times.

Perhaps some computer-savvy type like 38fordV8 could sort through the most common questions and create a reference "trouble-shooting" site as part of this Forum. His local No. 1 chapter, (as do many others) offer great reference material, so I would think that it is only a small-step to do the same for the Forum site.

This could be an interesting addition, as you could pose your question, and be prompted to first go to the "previously-answered" section/Chapter Website link before you posted it on the general Forum. If I wasn't a "Luddite", I might be able to help, but I have only enough computer skills to barely access the Forum. Anyway, it's just a stupid thought.

Dan

ford38v8    -- 09-19-2011 @ 6:36 PM
  Gee thanks Dan. You see, don't you, my exhalted title "webcontent" on my RG's website? That means that I'm the guy who delivers the information to the webmaster, as I possess barely enough computer skill to remember (sometimes) to use my spellcheck. I may look funny, but I'm certainly not a geek.

I think it's a great idea, and can be started anytime, as "plowing old ground" is an ongoing and very worthwhile project.
Bottom line here is that I'm not the right guy for the job, sorry.

Alan

Pair of 40's    -- 09-20-2011 @ 12:16 AM
  Thanks for plowing old ground as you call it. I did do a search with no results for the past 60 days. The idea of a Freq asked question option is a good one.

51f1    -- 09-20-2011 @ 6:29 AM
  Here are a few different brands and types of plugs that will work in an engine that originally used Champion H-10. Although the trucks used H-9, they are no longer available, and these will work in the trucks too. I can't tell them apart as far as how they function. The resisters are used to reduce radio interference.

Champion: H10, RJ14YC (resister)
NGK: B6L
Autolite: 216, 86 (resister)

Richard

TomO    -- 09-20-2011 @ 7:49 AM
  Here is a link to a site that has good color photos on how to read your spark plugs.

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm

If your plugs look like the normal photo, keep on using them. If they look like the second or third photos, consider using a different plug.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3774