Topic: My 59 AB engine has started to smoke

Pittsburgh Les    -- 09-17-2011 @ 7:13 PM
  First, I want to say that I'm a proud member of the GPRG #48. My problem: Suddenly my engine has started to smoke. Here are our symptoms: Smokes only under a "load". Smokes from under the car, and not the pipes. I'm finding oil on the ground. Has started to backfire. Little barks not snaps. No loss of power. Goes up these PA hills in high gear like always, only now in a cloud of smoke. Can you experts out there diagnose our problem?

FrankM-RG5    -- 09-18-2011 @ 5:43 AM
  Try putting out a little more info. Was this engine rebuilt? How long ago, how many miles?

alanwoodieman    -- 09-18-2011 @ 6:19 AM
  sounds like ring blo by. first thing clean the breather on the fill pipe if this is clogged up it can cause this, second has the engine run HOT any time,I mean really hot, this can cause the rings to loose their tension. Do a compression test with the engine at operating temp, all cylinders should be with in 10% and should be close to 120 lbs

supereal    -- 09-18-2011 @ 6:47 AM
  As you say the power of the engine hasn't been affected, I'd look for a topside oil leak. Small backfiring is often due to cross firing, so see if there is oil on the distributor or in the plug wire conduits. If oil is reaching the exhaust manifold(s), that could account for the smoke. If you car has an oil filter, check the can and the lines for leaks, and inspect the oil pressure sender. I've seen those come apart. It would likely take a huge internal problem to make that much smoke from the breather, but it doesn't take much if it gets on the manifold. That would also explain a larger than normal oil leak. A compression test will tell you if a ring broke or a valve guide came apart, but you should feel or hear that kind of problem.

Pittsburgh Les    -- 09-18-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  Never rebuilt......... the car has 50,000 original miles on it.

TomO    -- 09-20-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  Check your spark plugs. You may have a carburetor problem. The smoke and back firing can be from a rich mixture. A sudden appearance of smoke with no loss of power can usually be blamed on a bad power valve.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-20-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  Did you do anything to the car before the smoke began, such as an oil change? As you report that the smoke doesn't come from the tailpipe, perhaps you overfilled the crankcase. Proper amount is four quarts without a filter, five with. We recently had a big boat in our shop with a complaint of smoking and leaking oil. The owner had checked the oil while the boat was in the water, and thought the oil was low, and added some. We drained nearly eight quarts instead of five! Overfilling to the point the crankshaft hits the oil causes vaporization, excess smoke from the breather, and fouling of the plugs. Almost all problems are connected to the last work done.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3765