Topic: Brake adjustment

ole_Bill    -- 09-16-2011 @ 5:13 AM
  I have a '36 sedan with '39 hydraulic brakes. The pedal is getting near the floor. How do I adjust the brakes? Do I need to buy a "spoon"?

alanwoodieman    -- 09-16-2011 @ 6:21 AM
  adjusting early Ford brakes is an "art" and does not require the use of a spoon. There are two adjustments a major one and a minor one. You will be able to do them but it is best to have the instrutions at hand when you do. Order a service book avaiable from just about any dealer of parts

TomO    -- 09-16-2011 @ 8:45 AM
  The brakes should only need the sevice adjustment, the anchor adjustment is only done when the shoes are replaced.

You will need an 11/16" box wrench for the adjustment.

Jack up the wheels and locate the adjusting cam nuts. With your wrench on the nut for the forward shoe, push down on the end of the wrench until you feel the brake drag on the drum, back off on the adjustment until the wheel is free. Repeat with the rear shoe and then do the other wheels.

Tom

Stroker    -- 09-16-2011 @ 9:11 AM
  ole:

When you look at the backing plate, from the back side; the 11/16" bolt head on your right, will need to be turned clockwise to take up the slack as TomO noted above. The bolt head on your left will need to be turned counterclockwise to do the same.

These bolts turn a "snail" cam on the brake shoe side of the backing plate, which controls the
amount of retraction of the shoe, making up for the amount that has worn off of the shoes.

Basically, you will be reducing the amount of travel that the wheel cylinder has to make during brake application. The master cylinder will supply the additional fluid to "take-up" the slack.

These brake adjusters are unique to Huck designed drum brakes, but I find them easier to adjust
than the Bendix style.

supereal    -- 09-16-2011 @ 10:19 AM
  If adjusting the shoes doesn't bring the pedal back up. check the amount of free play at the pedal to see if it is about an inch. If not, the rod between the pedal and the master cylinder will need to be adjusted. Be sure to check the fluid level in the master. If none of this improves the pedal, chances are that the valve in the master cylinder that holds pressure in the lines is not working. This prevents having to pump the brakes each time you use them. This valve can stick if the fluid is allowed to get old and/or dirty.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3762