Topic: Firing Order/Plug Wire Diagram - Late 39 85HP

MDB    -- 09-15-2011 @ 2:18 PM
  In attempt to re-install distributor rebuilt by "Skip" we have experienced difficulty in attaining correct firing. We are using schematic from original owners
manual Pages 36 & 37 (Fig.20) Electrical System and the SIMPLIFIED WIRING DIAGRAM (Fig 19) from Page 35, but can't seem to get it right. Does anyone have a more concise schematic which could be posted? Also if there is a sure-fire, simplified ADVICE FOR DUMMY'S
available from seasoned veterans it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any assistance offered. MDB

alanwoodieman    -- 09-15-2011 @ 3:13 PM
  plugs are numbered 1 thru 4 on passenger side and 5 thru 8 on drivers side, starting from the front to rear of
engine. If you look on the inner caps where the plug wires go you will find two numbers by each plug wire location and you plug in the proper wire on the side you are working on by the number by the hole and then you will have it wired correctly

TomO    -- 09-16-2011 @ 9:15 AM
  Some wiring diagrams are upside down.

Hold the inner cap for the passenger side with the indexing projection up, then you will be able to read the right side numbers. 1 should be the upper left (rear of the car), 3 the upper right, 4 the lower left and 2 the lower right.

The drivers side is mounted with the index down and cyl 8 is in the upper left(front of the car).

Tom

MDB    -- 09-20-2011 @ 12:35 PM
  Thanks Guys! With your help and a wiring schematic from VanPelts website, it now runs better that at any prior time during my ownership. I sincerely appreciate the advice regularly offered by respondents, including some of the "old time humor". Having grown up during the 40s & 50s on a small farm in Iowa, I recognize the vast experience communicated on the FORUM by many V8'rs from that era, and appreciate their willingness to share that knowledge.
I wished to share some photos of the demise of my life savings but require assistance accomplishing that as well!

ford38v8    -- 09-20-2011 @ 1:39 PM
  MDB, If you have pictures on your computer, it's easy as hitting the "choose file" button just below the reply window. That will pull up a menu of the locations in your computer, choose the location of your pictures, then choose the picture itself. No Chebbies, please.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3759