Topic: '38 trunk alignment

40cpe    -- 09-15-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  '38 club coupe; The trunk lid is slightly rubbing the body opening on the right side and needs to move to the left about 1/16". The only adjustment I can see is forward/aft on the hinge mounts that bolt to the body. There are four bolts holding each hinge to the deck lid. I thought that there might be an adjustable inner plate in the deck side but it doesn't move with slight tapping. I've tried loosening all the bolts to shift it a little but no luck. I could resort to elongating the holes but would rather not if there is a correct way to do it.
Thanks for any advice. Gene

supereal    -- 09-15-2011 @ 1:57 PM
  Gene: You can shift the trunk lid by lossening the bolts that hold the lid to the hinges. If that doesn't work, it is likely that one or both hinges are either bent or worn. Most of the problems we encounter trying to adjust trunk lids is due to the incorrect seals around the opening. After my '47 was rear ended by a guy who wasn't paying attention, I had quite a time getting the repaired lid back to where it was. I found that one of the hinges was slightly bent where it dips to clear the top edge of the opening. Look at both sides to be sure they are equal. Otherwise, the chances of getting it right are slim. I bought new hinges from Drake. I had to adapt them, even thgough they claimed they were correct, but my trunk lid is now back in place. Hood and trunk lid adjustments can drive you nuts. At least, that is my excuse!

40cpe    -- 09-15-2011 @ 2:29 PM
  Thanks Super, there is only a small gap between the seal and the body edge and it very well may be what is pulling it over. The seal (relatively new, so I'm sure aftermarket)is securely glued to the body and I wanted to try all other remedies before I tear it up removing it to see if it helps the fit. I was hoping to get the hinges adjusted to pull it over.

40cpe    -- 09-16-2011 @ 6:30 PM
  Today I was able to get the trunk seal removed from the left side and the lid is still too close on that side. My plan tomorrow is to cut a 2x4 to fit between the hinges and try to persuade both hinges to the left by using a big hammer on a block of wood on the right hinge. If this is unwise, please speak up now.

40cpe    -- 09-17-2011 @ 4:29 PM
  Alright! I managed to get it centered by attaching a cable hoist to the left hinge, pulling to a slight tension, and releasing. It worked like a charm.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3758