Topic: Radiator hose clamp orientation on 36

Henryat1140    -- 09-14-2011 @ 3:32 PM
  We are replacing the top radiator hose clamps on our 36.

They were oriented in different ways when we took the old ones off, and since there probably is a 'from the factory way' to orient them when replacing we are asking for opinions of which way to put them on so the screws are, for lack of a better word, 'pointing in the approved direction'.

Regards,

Henry

ford38v8    -- 09-14-2011 @ 3:48 PM
  Henry, I've been waiting for you to ask that question! The screws are on top, horizontal, facing outward on either side, toward the assemblyman who leans over the car to install them.

Alan

Stroker    -- 09-14-2011 @ 3:54 PM
  Henry:

This is an "opinion", as I haven't looked at any 36 factory photo's. Only those would tell you "for sure". As a mechanic who grew up with early Ford's, I would put the
top clamps on with the screw head facing outward from the center-line of the car/truck
at the lower ("forward" on a 36,)side of the hose. This makes the screw accessible,
but keeps the sharp ends of the clamp away from your hands during normal servicing
tasks.

Dan

Stroker    -- 09-14-2011 @ 4:02 PM
  Henry: I'd go with Alan's advice, since he has been in a position to judge cars. I have only worked on them.

Alan: Darn-it, now I have to move my clamps! You must be in pretty good shape for a contemporary of mine, being able to hike up 18 sets of stairs just to get from your shop
to your house. I'm afraid I couldn't do that anymore.

dixiejak    -- 09-19-2011 @ 9:22 PM
  Stroker, I hope that's supposed to be 18 sets of steps instead of stairs. We definitely want to keep Alan around for a long time. On the other hand, an't nothin fer a stepper I guess. At 83 I don't have trouble with steps....yet! Its that disappearing strength cr*pola, that gives me the chooroos. Jim

ford38v8    -- 09-19-2011 @ 10:58 PM

DixieJak, Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm no stepper. Haven't been able to do that since I found myself on the bottom of of a dogpile in a drunken flag football game. 8 days in the hospital, but it took 8 years to find that I had a broken back.

Dan, 18 stairs, thankfully, not 18 sets of stairs! Where it takes my breath away is when I have to lug $200 worth of groceries up those same stairs.

Dan, in addition to factory photos, you must consider the "right" way to do a job, and the job at hand was to build a car, not to work on it later. Even given that as a general rule, look at the evolution of the position of the hoses. The early hoses, including the '36, were at such an angle as to present a most awkward and all but innaccessible screw if installed on the underside, (or forward side) of the hose. Facing outward of course is really a given.

The classic example of Engineers giving zero consideration to work later to be performed on a car was the 1958 Thunderbird. Pity the mechanic charged with the task of changing spark plugs, who then finds that he has to pull the engine to reach the rear two plugs. This nonsense continues, of course: Serpentine belts and oxygen sensors and any number of other idiotic shortsighted engineering mistakes of which I'm sure you can name a dozen to my one.

Alan

51f1    -- 09-20-2011 @ 6:39 AM
  Way off subject but...

On my modern V-6, front wheel drive, the dealer charges $400 to replace the plugs because you have to remove the intake manifold to get to the back-side plugs. Fortunately, this only has to be done every 100,000 miles or so. I used to change plugs for the cost of the plugs, which was less than a dollar each.

Richard

ford38v8    -- 09-20-2011 @ 9:35 AM
  Richard, Nopt off subject at all. It's all related here except stairs and broken backs!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3753