Topic: drakes halogen 6v bulbs

jerry weiser    -- 09-14-2011 @ 2:10 PM
  i have drakes hologen headlight bulbs in my 6v 36. with new alternator, fuse blows. are these 6v bulbs a bad idea?

weezer

kubes40    -- 09-14-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  I know his sealed beams caused fits with the circuit breakers in 40 and up unless the system was near perfect. Seems the halogen draw too much amperage.

trjford8    -- 09-14-2011 @ 8:16 PM
  Halogens draw a lot of amperage. They should have a relay in line for them to work properly. The relay should help. I'm not a big fan of halaogen bulbs. I prefer to have new or resilvered reflectors and use the higher candle power headlamp bulbs.

supereal    -- 09-14-2011 @ 8:29 PM
  The stock headlight wiring is too light for conversion to halogens. They draw about twice the current of conventional sealed beam units. When I installed then in my '47 , they were actually less bright than the originals, and required a bit over 35 amps for the headlights, alone. By the time the power made it thru the headlight switch, the dimmer switch, and a bunch of bullet connectors, any advantage was lost. We constructed a relay board to power the halogens directly from the battery. They are now as bright as expected. The answer is LED bulbs, which are beginning to appear in trucks. Unless you plan to rewire, I'd stay away from halogens.

jerry weiser    -- 09-15-2011 @ 3:19 PM
  i wonder if drake sells a kit to fix the problem.

weezer

supereal    -- 09-15-2011 @ 5:13 PM
  Not that I know of. The Drake halogen headlights are not sealed beams, but a halogen bulb in a reflector and lens. We made a relay board from two six volt solenoids. If interested, I can post the diagram again. There may be a commercial version, but I don't have any info on it.

jerry weiser    -- 09-16-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  hold off mr super, im going back to stock. thanks.

weezer

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-21-2011 @ 4:39 PM
  If you want a little more light out front,
did you ever think about a set of FOG lights,
this might be a easier way to go,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8    -- 09-21-2011 @ 6:21 PM
  Weezer, a couple of tips to get your stock system brighter:

1- Run a ground wire from bucket to frame. Don't count on the fender or the headlight bracket for your ground.
2- Run a couple of relays, one for low beam, another for high beam, from the light switch. Get the power for the lights directly from a 10AWG wire connected to the main solenoid. Ask Supereal for details on this.
3- New reflectors. Old reflectors just can't cut the mustard.
4- Wash your lens in the kitchen sink inside and out. Outside clean, but 70 odd years of road smog on the inside makes for some pretty dim lights.
5- Original bulbs were 32/32. Change them for 50/32's: They've been available since day one.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3751