Topic: To sell a car to austria or not

MOXIE    -- 09-12-2011 @ 6:48 PM
  I'm selling a 35 ford coupe on ebay (200650871533). I got a call from a guy in Austria that wants it. Wanted me to stop auction but I said no. Does anyone have any first hand experience of selling a car outside the USA. I told him in no way will the car leave my house untill all funds have clear to my bank and he said no problem. IF he is the winning bidder, I guess I got nothing to lose but to sell it to him. I have sold several parts to people in Austria but never a complete car. And I'm not knocking austria folks. I believe we have some on this forum. Anyway, I've just never done it and would like some feed back from someone who has, thanks

trjford8    -- 09-12-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  You made the right move in not stopping the auction. If you have a Paypal account I would make sure that payment is sent to that account. They have experience in dealing with foreign countries and will let you know when the money has been received by Paypal. In any case do not release the car until you have the money in hand.

TomO    -- 09-13-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  Peter Hibbert is the Australian representative on the EFV-8 Club Board. He may be able to help you as he has purchased cars from over here in the past.

You can send him a PM by looking at his post on his 47 Ford restoration.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 09-13-2011 @ 12:41 PM
  TomO, I think you misread the destination: It's Austria, not Australia.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-13-2011 @ 5:08 PM
  Moxie
get in touch with a transporter, like HORSELESS CARRAIGE in PATERSON NJ,
they export cars all the time, and are experts.
they will tell you what to do,
matter of fact ask the buyer who he wants to use.
if he has a different company , see if you can get in touch with them and ask them,
the more you know the better you will understand,
just make sure you get paid before letting the car go,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN
HORSELESS CARRAIGE is at HERSEHY PA, every year,by CHOCLATE WORLD,
One of the best in the business,,,

TomO    -- 09-14-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  Alan, you are correct. I should have known better, I met my wife in Innsbruck, Austria.

Tom

35gal    -- 09-14-2011 @ 9:55 AM
  It’s so nice to have an ass correct the man’s spelling. He’s probe ably nervous about selling the car and the only help you can give him is correcting his spelllllllling.

ford38v8    -- 09-14-2011 @ 12:06 PM
  35gal, you are so far off base, you don't even belong on this Forum.

Alan

35gal    -- 09-14-2011 @ 5:17 PM
  Let’s see, you make fun of a member’s spelling and I bring it to your attention. Yeah, your right, I do not belong here.

ford38v8    -- 09-14-2011 @ 5:20 PM
  35gal, two different countries, Austria and Austrailia. Idiot.

Alan

supereal    -- 09-14-2011 @ 5:30 PM
  At least, it wasn't a Nigerian prince! In all my years in the hobby, I have never seen so much film flam as today. Most of the successful international sales I've seen have been handled by specialized brokers. The advice to not release a car until the check clears should be etched in stone! Trying to recover a car or make the payment good is virtually impossible due to international restrictions.

Stroker    -- 09-14-2011 @ 5:31 PM
  Guys & Gals:

Get each other's email addresses and sort out your differences.

Alan: you need to learn how to spell Australia.

35 Gal: you need to learn how to spell probably.

This is getting way to trivial for our genteel forum.

Stroker    -- 09-14-2011 @ 5:31 PM
  Guys & Gals:

Get each other's email addresses and sort out your differences.

Alan: you need to learn how to spell Australia.

35 Gal: you need to learn how to spell probably.

This is getting way to trivial for our genteel forum.

35gal    -- 09-15-2011 @ 5:29 PM
  Stroker, that's telling the big idoit bullly boy.

fordmerc    -- 09-15-2011 @ 6:06 PM
  For some banking transactions, the check is "cleared" and credited to your account -- then some time later, when the check bounces, the bank removes the credit to your account. You should check with your bank to define exactly how long after the initial "credit" it will be considered "irrevocable".

danliveshere    -- 09-16-2011 @ 10:39 PM
  To answer the original post, regardless of where the car has to go, you must always wait till payment clears. A couple years ago I bought a car from Hawaii. I paid a paypal deposit and the balance with a bank transfer to the sellers account. This is not a checque , but actual cash in US$.
Now the other side of the story, as a buyer from Australia sending $30k overseas is a very daunting experience. I actually spoke to the buyer on the phone. I had spoken to him before the end of the auction. Regardless it is scary sending so much money and wondering if you will ever get a car. End of story is I did get the car, seller got paid in US$ and all went well. As the seller you don't have too much to worry about as you don't do a thing till money is in your account and cleared. We have to remember to keep this a fun part of classic car ownership.Good communication is important for both parties. Good luck with the sale, hope it all goes well for you. Dan from Australia, not Austria.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3739